Mailing List Archive

[SOLVED] Re: Question about forwarding email (not specifically SA, pointers greatly appreciated)
On 1/3/24 18:16, Michael Grant wrote:
> Here's what I have done in the past from my server to get around this
> situation you are having:
>
> 1. In my .procmailrc file
>
> :0c:
> !example@gmail.com
>
> This sends a copy (the c flag in first line) of the message to the
> gmail account and leaves a copy in your inbox.
>
> 2. From your example@gmail.com acct, go to Settings -> Accounts and
> Import. Under the section 'Check email from other accounts', Add an
> email account. Then add your server's account and use POP to suck
> over emails as they arrive. Have it delete the emails once they are
> sucked over.
>
> What this does is it causes messages to be forwarded to gmail, but
> some small number of them bounce because of whatever decision gmail
> makes. But those messages are popped in later, so there's no lost
> mail. Gmail de-duplicates the messages so you don't get messages
> twice, and it never refuses to pop the messages in. Popping in
> messages is slow, so when the forward works (which seems to be most of
> the time), mail comes in quick, unless it bounces, in which case, it's
> popped in a few minutes, sometimes 10s of minutes, later.
>
> If you are concerned about the bounce messages going back into your
> mailbox (gmail doesn't loop here fortunately), you can write a
> procmail rule to siphon those off into another folder or into
> /dev/null. (Left as exercise for the reader...)
>
> 3. You *may* need to do one further thing, you may need to go back
> into gmail's Account and Import settings and set up 'Send mail as' and
> set up to send mail as your email address on your server. I can't
> remember if gmail does this automatically for you in step 2 above or
> not.
>
> 4. You probably want to then click the radio button "Reply from the
> same address to which the message was sent". Otherwise, when you
> reply, it'll come from your gmail address and not your server's email
> address. These radio buttons only appear once you have at least one
> Send As address set up.
>
> Michael Grant

This is super helpful, thank you very much! I was not aware you could
configure GMail to pull from another account, that's incredibly helpful!

I wound up installing PostSRSd
(https://github.com/roehling/postsrsd/tree/main). Now, when I send email
to one of the officers in the non-profit, I have their actual email
address set up in /etc/aliases, and SRSd rewrites the headers so that
GMail at least accepts them now. Before, it was just flat out rejecting
them.

The annoying thing is that when I send email from the mail server I set
up, even though it *passes* SPF, DKIM, and DMARC
(https://imgur.com/a/FuA6HiK), GMail is still dumping into the Spam
folder. It's incredibly irritating. After I marked a handful of them
"not spam," it stopped doing it, but we're going to be sending emails to
the members of the association (and I know several use GMail). I really
don't know what the heck I am supposed to do to get GMail to stop
dropping the messages into the spam folder. I thought you could set up
some sort of DNS TXT record for Google to show that you're a legit
sender, but I can't find documentation for it except for Google Workplaces.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the great suggestions! I learned a lot doing
this, and I was unaware of SRS... That's fantastic info!

--
Thomas