Thanks

Ed

http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools
Re: local.cf not being used after edit [ In reply to ]
On Saturday 28 February 2004 14:15, ebk wrote:
> After I edit /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf
> my changes are just staying the same?
> any idea why?
>
> Thanks
>
> Ed

Restart spamd ???

--
_____________________________________
John Andersen
Re: local.cf not being used after edit [ In reply to ]
Can you please let me know the cmd to enter?
never re started it before
I am really new at SA

Re: local.cf not being used after edit [ In reply to ]
On Saturday 28 February 2004 14:40, ebk wrote:
> Can you please let me know the cmd to enter?
> never re started it before
> I am really new at SA
>
> --- John Andersen <jsa@pen.homeip.net> wrote:
> > On Saturday 28 February 2004 14:15, ebk wrote:
> > > After I edit /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf
> > > my changes are just staying the same?
> > > any idea why?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Ed
> >
> > Restart spamd ???

Well I have no clue ...
Since you post with yahoo I have no headers to go on
to determine what OS you are running. These basic things
DO matter.

Assuming some form of linux its usually something like (as root)
/etc/init.d/spamd restart
but some distros have an rc.d dir in there.

--
_____________________________________
John Andersen
Re: local.cf not being used after edit [ In reply to ]
#I added spamd to startup scripts
# /etc/rc.d/rc.local

I added this in there
/usr/bin/spamd -a -c -d

what is the restart or stop command?
right from the prompt
when I try to start it it says running already

http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools
Re: local.cf not being used after edit [ In reply to ]
ebk <aaebd@yahoo.com> wrote:
> #I added spamd to startup scripts
> # /etc/rc.d/rc.local
>
> I added this in there
> /usr/bin/spamd -a -c -d
>
> what is the restart or stop command?
> right from the prompt
> when I try to start it it says running already

John told you what we need to help you. If you are running spamd, you need to
restart it after making any changes to config files (including rule sets.) Tell
us what OS you're running on (and distribution, if linux) and we might be able
to tell you EXACTLY. IF you are running Linux (or any other Unix flavor), do
this:

Either:
ls /etc/init.d

or

ls /etc/rc.d/init.d

Under one of those, you should see a "spamassassin" or "spamd". Then do:

/etc/init.d/spamassassin restart
(modify based on what you find)

Then I'd STRONGLY recommend you familiarze yourself with init scripts in
general, because you're going to run into this again!

- Bob
Re: local.cf not being used after edit [ In reply to ]
On Saturday 28 February 2004 14:54, ebk wrote:
> #I added spamd to startup scripts
> # /etc/rc.d/rc.local

wrong wrong wrong...

The only way to kill that is to find its pid and kill it.
Use "top"

> I added this in there
> /usr/bin/spamd -a -c -d

This is undoubtedly the wrong way to do that...

> what is the restart or stop command?
> right from the prompt
> when I try to start it it says running already

What distro are your running? How can you come here
and ask for help "right from the prompt" without supplying
this BASIC information??

If you just tell us what we need to know I'm sure someone
running the same distriburtion of linux will give you the
exact commands....

Failing that...
You can always take the windows way out and reboot...

--
_____________________________________
John Andersen
Re: local.cf not being used after edit [ In reply to ]
From: "Bob George" <mailings02@ttlexceeded.com>

> Either:
> ls /etc/init.d
>
> or
>
> ls /etc/rc.d/init.d
>
> Under one of those, you should see a "spamassassin" or "spamd". Then do:
>
> /etc/init.d/spamassassin restart
> (modify based on what you find)

This often works.

"service spamassassin restart"

To make it run properly the spamassassin init script should be in the
init.d directory, wherever it is. "chkconfig --list spamassassin" should
show it. "chkconfig spamassassin on" should enable it for every boot.
The first time start can be "service spamassassin start". The "service"
script takes care of finding the init script and running it.

{o.o}
Re: local.cf not being used after edit [ In reply to ]
jdow wrote:

>To make it run properly the spamassassin init script should be in the
>init.d directory, wherever it is. "chkconfig --list spamassassin" should
>show it. "chkconfig spamassassin on" should enable it for every boot.
>The first time start can be "service spamassassin start". The "service"
>script takes care of finding the init script and running it.

Both (chkconfig and service) are not present under Debian. They may be
distribution-specific.

- Bob
Re: local.cf not being used after edit [ In reply to ]
> From: "Bob George" <mailings02@ttlexceeded.com>
>
>> Either:
>> ls /etc/init.d
>>
>> or
>>
>> ls /etc/rc.d/init.d
>>
>> Under one of those, you should see a "spamassassin" or "spamd". Then do:
>>
>> /etc/init.d/spamassassin restart
>> (modify based on what you find)
>
> This often works.
>
> "service spamassassin restart"
>
> To make it run properly the spamassassin init script should be in the
> init.d directory, wherever it is. "chkconfig --list spamassassin" should
> show it. "chkconfig spamassassin on" should enable it for every boot.
> The first time start can be "service spamassassin start". The "service"
> script takes care of finding the init script and running it.
>
> {o.o}

IMHO this often does not work. "service" ?? "chkconfig" ??, this is rather
distrospecific commands. I have never worked on systems using this commands.
I would use something like:
kill -HUP `ps aux | grep spamd | grep -v grep | awk '{ print $2 }'`
This makes most processes reread their configuration, and should be less
distrospecific.

--
JK
Re: local.cf not being used after edit [ In reply to ]
From: "Jøran Kvalvaag" <jk@nerdworks.org>
> IMHO this often does not work. "service" ?? "chkconfig" ??, this is rather
> distrospecific commands. I have never worked on systems using this
commands.
> I would use something like:
> kill -HUP `ps aux | grep spamd | grep -v grep | awk '{ print $2 }'`
> This makes most processes reread their configuration, and should be less
> distrospecific.

That could be. However, I have found that kill -HUP is also deadly if
the rc.d technology is in place and in use. The daemons get lost from
their proper controllers and nastiness results.

I guess that underscores that you MUST know your release and how it works
lest you get your system "all balled up."

{O.O}
Re: local.cf not being used after edit [ In reply to ]
> From: "Jøran Kvalvaag" <jk@nerdworks.org>
>> IMHO this often does not work. "service" ?? "chkconfig" ??, this is rather
>> distrospecific commands. I have never worked on systems using this
> commands.
>> I would use something like:
>> kill -HUP `ps aux | grep spamd | grep -v grep | awk '{ print $2 }'`
>> This makes most processes reread their configuration, and should be less
>> distrospecific.
>
> That could be. However, I have found that kill -HUP is also deadly if
> the rc.d technology is in place and in use. The daemons get lost from
> their proper controllers and nastiness results.

That depends on what way the initscripts are handled, System V vs BSD. I.e.
Slackware Linux has BSD initscripts. It uses rc.d, still kill -HUP works fine.

> I guess that underscores that you MUST know your release and how it works
> lest you get your system "all balled up."

I strongly agree with you. I would not dare to do much on a Linux- UNIX-box if
I didn't know how to start/stop/restart processes. Thats for sure!

--
JK
Re: local.cf not being used after edit [ In reply to ]
The command on my RH9 os is
/etc/rc.d/init.d/spamassassin restart
works fine

-------------------

Re: local.cf not being used after edit [ In reply to ]
On Saturday 28 February 2004 4:25 pm, jdow wrote:

> This often works.
>
> "service spamassassin restart"

As others have noted, this is specific to the distro you are using -- I
believe the "service <whatever> <command>" is redhat's way of doing things.
Under SuSE, the command would be "rc<whatever> <command>" [.note there is no
space between "rc" and the service name] As it turns out, these are merely
symlinks to the /etc/<however-deeply-buried>/rc.d/<service> scripts anyway :)

--
Yet another Blog: http://osnut.homelinux.net
Re: local.cf not being used after edit [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 28 Feb 2004, John Andersen stated:
> On Saturday 28 February 2004 14:54, ebk wrote:
>> #I added spamd to startup scripts
>> # /etc/rc.d/rc.local
>
> wrong wrong wrong...
>
> The only way to kill that is to find its pid and kill it.
> Use "top"

Errrr, what's wrong with

ps -o pid -C spamd | xargs kill

anyway?

>> I added this in there
>> /usr/bin/spamd -a -c -d
>
> This is undoubtedly the wrong way to do that...

Well, I'm using

spamd -a -d -H -i 192.168.14.14 -A 192.168.14.1

and, well, it works, flawlessly. Not everyone uses /etc/rc.d-style init
scripts, you know.

>> what is the restart or stop command?
>> right from the prompt
>> when I try to start it it says running already
>
> What distro are your running? How can you come here
> and ask for help "right from the prompt" without supplying
> this BASIC information??

That's peculiar, I'll grant.

> Failing that...
> You can always take the windows way out and reboot...

Ick.

SA's unexpectedly robust against major system problems, btw: I
accidentally deleted all of /dev the other day, yet SA just kept
running. (clamav segfaulted. :) )

--
`note to the crown prosecution service: Machine guns dont have a
'stun' setting.' --- mjw