* 1.8 FSL_HELO_NON_FQDN_1 No description available

Thanks

joe a.
Re: Hits on item with " No description available" [ In reply to ]
"Joe Acquisto-j4" <joea@j4computers.com> writes:

> Where can I get some idea of what the rule below actually checks for? I noticed some normally passed email was flagged as SPAM.
>
> Started seeing it sometime after making some configuration changes to local settings on postfix, attempting to isolate a "bug". But before reverting them all, or one at a time, I'd rather have a clue. Semi-informed hacking about can be problematic.

> * 1.8 FSL_HELO_NON_FQDN_1 No description available

cd /var/spamassassin

egrep -R FSL_HELO_NON_FQDN_1 .

Find the rules file and read it.

(rules may be someplace else on your system; that's where they are on
mine)
Re: Hits on item with " No description available" [ In reply to ]

> Am 20.01.22 um 15:47 schrieb Joe Acquisto-j4:
>> Where can I get some idea of what the rule below actually checks for? I
> noticed some normally passed email was flagged as SPAM.
>>
>> Started seeing it sometime after making some configuration changes to local
> settings on postfix, attempting to isolate a "bug". But before reverting
> them all, or one at a time, I'd rather have a clue. Semi-informed hacking
> about can be problematic.

>> * 1.8 FSL_HELO_NON_FQDN_1 No description available
>
> in most cases by read the name with common sense
>
> HELO: should be known what it is
> NON: none should be clear
> FQDN: should be known what it is
>
> the description would be something like "HELO with no full qualified
> domain name" and won't help you either if you don't know that standard
> things when it comes to email
>
> the FSL_ prefix is as usual a shortname of the guy who wrote the rule

I would still like to examine that rule, but have not found it despite some
effort to do so. Are they in "plain text" file or obfuscated/indexed in some
manner? Doing a text search across the system might take time, but is
a wasted effort if not in plain text.

Reason is, I do not see anything that should trigger this rule, based on the
suggestions. Even reverted a couple of setting, see them reflected in
headers, but it still triggers. So, I am missing something.

joe a.
Re: Hits on item with " No description available" [ In reply to ]
I followed my own advice about egrep -R and found this immediately

it's in

3.004006/updates_spamassassin_org/72_active.cf

and it is

##{ FSL_HELO_NON_FQDN_1
header FSL_HELO_NON_FQDN_1 X-Spam-Relays-External =~ /^[^\]]+ helo=[a-zA-Z0-9-_]+ /i
##} FSL_HELO_NON_FQDN_1

with score

score FSL_HELO_NON_FQDN_1 2.361 0.001 1.783 0.001
Re: Hits on item with " No description available" [ In reply to ]
On 2022-01-20 15:47, Joe Acquisto-j4 wrote:

old version

> * 1.8 FSL_HELO_NON_FQDN_1 No description available

have you configured internal_networks, trusted_networks ?
Re: Hits on item with " No description available" [ In reply to ]
> I followed my own advice about egrep -R and found this immediately
>
> it's in
>
> 3.004006/updates_spamassassin_org/72_active.cf
>
> and it is
>
> ##{ FSL_HELO_NON_FQDN_1
> header FSL_HELO_NON_FQDN_1 X-Spam-Relays-External =~ /^[^\]]+
> helo=[a-zA-Z0-9-_]+ /i
> ##} FSL_HELO_NON_FQDN_1
>
> with score
>
> score FSL_HELO_NON_FQDN_1 2.361 0.001 1.783 0.001

No 3.004006 around here, but with your hints I did find location of the rules set and
found the rules in a couple of earlier files.

Thanks.
Re: Hits on item with " No description available" [ In reply to ]

> On 2022-01-20 15:47, Joe Acquisto-j4 wrote:

> old version
>
>> * 1.8 FSL_HELO_NON_FQDN_1 No description available
>
> have you configured internal_networks, trusted_networks ?

Yes, keeping up to date is not my strong suit. Or perhaps any other.

I did configure them, but may have buggered them up while messing
around. But, a-hunting we will go.

joe a.
Re: Hits on item with " No description available" [ In reply to ]
On 2022-01-20 at 16:21:40 UTC-0500 (Thu, 20 Jan 2022 16:21:40 -0500)
is rumored to have said:

>> Am 20.01.22 um 15:47 schrieb Joe Acquisto-j4:
>>> Where can I get some idea of what the rule below actually checks
>>> for? I
>> noticed some normally passed email was flagged as SPAM.
>>>
>>> Started seeing it sometime after making some configuration changes
>>> to local
>> settings on postfix, attempting to isolate a "bug". But before
>> reverting
>> them all, or one at a time, I'd rather have a clue. Semi-informed
>> hacking
>> about can be problematic.

>>> * 1.8 FSL_HELO_NON_FQDN_1 No description available
>>
>> in most cases by read the name with common sense
>>
>> HELO: should be known what it is
>> NON: none should be clear
>> FQDN: should be known what it is
>>
>> the description would be something like "HELO with no full qualified
>> domain name" and won't help you either if you don't know that
>> standard
>> things when it comes to email
>>
>> the FSL_ prefix is as usual a shortname of the guy who wrote the rule
>
> I would still like to examine that rule, but have not found it despite
> some
> effort to do so. Are they in "plain text" file or obfuscated/indexed
> in some
> manner? Doing a text search across the system might take time, but is
> a wasted effort if not in plain text.

The exact location is distro/build-specific, but in someplace like
/var/db/spamassassin/3.004006 you should have a directory tree of rules
in 'channels' including updates_spamassassin_org, which includes a file
named 72_active.cf, with this line:

header FSL_HELO_NON_FQDN_1 X-Spam-Relays-External =~ /^[^\]]+
helo=[a-zA-Z0-9-_]+ /i

Essentially: a SMTP handoff was recorded by a trustworthy reciever in
which the sender used a HELO/EHLO argument which had no '.' in it, and
so cannot be a fully-qualified domain name. The X-Spam-Relays-*
pseudo-headers are synthesized by SpamAssassin from the Received headers
of the message.

> Reason is, I do not see anything that should trigger this rule, based
> on the
> suggestions. Even reverted a couple of setting, see them reflected in
> headers, but it still triggers. So, I am missing something.

To figure out what matched, you'll need to check a message with the
"rules" debug channel on:

spamassassin -t -D rules < suspect.eml

HOWEVER: In looking at your message, I'm 99.9% sure that what matched
was a Received header recording a client calling itself simply 'mail'
using an RFC1918 IP address which is also constructing a Message-Id
using just 'mail' as the hostname part. Whatever that machine is, it
should be using a FQDN instead of a bare hostname. Also, you could (and
probably should) add that machine to your internal_networks setting,
since an RFC1918 address is pretty much the definition of internal.

--
Bill Cole
Not Currently Available For Hire
Re: Hits on item with " No description available" [ In reply to ]
Greg Troxel writes:
> From: Greg Troxel <gdt@lexort.com>
> Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 16:32:53 -0500
>
> I followed my own advice about egrep -R and found this immediately
>
> it's in
>
> 3.004006/updates_spamassassin_org/72_active.cf
>
> and it is
>
> ##{ FSL_HELO_NON_FQDN_1
> header FSL_HELO_NON_FQDN_1 X-Spam-Relays-External =~ /^[^\]]+ helo=[a-zA-Z0-9-_]+ /i
> ##} FSL_HELO_NON_FQDN_1
>
> with score
>
> score FSL_HELO_NON_FQDN_1 2.361 0.001 1.783 0.001

BTW: You can create tags (using Exuberant ctags) for spamassassin rules:

I create the tags using:

ctags -f SPAMASSASSIN_TAGS --langdef=CF --langmap=CF:.cf --languages=CF --regex-CF='/^[ \t]*(header|mimeheader|describe|body|rawbody|full|meta|uri|urirhssub|uridnsbl|urirhsbl|tflags|score|replace_rules)[ \t]+([^ \t]+)/\2/' ~/.spamassassin /var/lib/spamassassin /usr/share/spamassassin

So, I can do Meta-. in Emacs and it goes directly to the 'header FSL_HELO_NON_FQDN_1' definition

-jeff
Re: Hits on item with " No description available" [ In reply to ]

>> On 2022-01-20 15:47, Joe Acquisto-j4 wrote:

>> old version
>>
>>> * 1.8 FSL_HELO_NON_FQDN_1 No description available
>>
>> have you configured internal_networks, trusted_networks ?
>
> Yes, keeping up to date is not my strong suit. Or perhaps any other.
>
> I did configure them, but may have buggered them up while messing
> around. But, a-hunting we will go.
>
> joe a.

And, just like that . . .

trusted_networks was missing one of the IP used on the machine.
internal_networks was not.

Odd. I don't recall doing that. Hopefully I have only been pwned and
this is not an indication of diminishing mental capa . . cap... err , , stuff.

Thanks to all for the tolerant assistance.

joe a.
Re: Hits on item with " No description available" [ In reply to ]
> On 2022-01-20 at 16:21:40 UTC-0500 (Thu, 20 Jan 2022 16:21:40 -0500)
> Joe Acquisto-j4 <joea@j4computers.com>
> is rumored to have said:

. . . . .
> To figure out what matched, you'll need to check a message with the
> "rules" debug channel on:
>
> spamassassin -t -D rules < suspect.eml
>
> HOWEVER: In looking at your message, I'm 99.9% sure that what matched
> was a Received header recording a client calling itself simply 'mail'
> using an RFC1918 IP address which is also constructing a Message-Id
> using just 'mail' as the hostname part. Whatever that machine is, it
> should be using a FQDN instead of a bare hostname. Also, you could (and
> probably should) add that machine to your internal_networks setting,
> since an RFC1918 address is pretty much the definition of internal.
>

> --
> Bill Cole
> bill@scconsult.com or billcole@apache.org
> (AKA @grumpybozo and many *@billmail.scconsult.com addresses)
> Not Currently Available For Hire

Thanks for the debug tip. I've meant to fix that "mail" issue for some time.
guess now is as good as any.

Anyway the original whine has been resolved.

joe a.
Re: Hits on item with " No description available" [ In reply to ]
On 2022-01-20 23:35, Bill Cole wrote:

> (and probably should) add that machine to your internal_networks
> setting, since an RFC1918 address is pretty much the definition of
> internal.

another pmc member say to me all rfc1918 is hardcoded in spamassassin

sure if its still missing ?