Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: OT - Hotmail/Outlook.com marking most of our email as Junk [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 19 Feb 2022, Greg Troxel wrote:

>>> As for your "domain", also look up the IP address your mail comes from, because that's more important.
>>> A lookup service I have found useful is:
>>
>>> https://multirbl.valli.org/
>>
>> Ok, actually, I got some interesting results for 136.143.188.53, which
>> is a Zoho server I have apparently sent mail from. Some blacklists,
>> some yellow lists, some whitelists, and a bunch of blue and red. Do
>> you think Zoho is the bigger problem than NameCheap?
>
> I said you should understand if you have a shared IP, and *who else is
> sharing it*. When they spam, it gets the IP on lists, which causes you
> trouble.

...or *who had it before you did* (particularly for static or
not-so-dynamic dynamic IPs).

A spammer could have set up a "throwaway" server and blasted spam from
that IP until it got blacklisted, then moved on, leaving you to inherit an
IP with a bad reputation.

That may or may not be an easy problem to address. Potentially the
simplest solution is to ask your provider to assign you a different IP
address and hope that one isn't listed as well. You could proactively
spot-check IP addresses in the network block managed by your provider and
if a more than a few of them are listed (particularly by multiple DNSBLs)
then your provider is probably problematic and you should look elsewhere.

[Ooo, look, the .sigmonster is listening...]

jhardin@impsec.org pgpk -a jhardin@impsec.org
Back in 1969 the technology to fake a Moon landing didn't exist,
but the technology to actually land there did.
Today, it is the opposite. -- unknown
3 days until George Washington's 290th Birthday
Re: OT - Hotmail/Outlook.com marking most of our email as Junk [ In reply to ]
Cian is rumored to have said:
> Anne, I am incredibly grateful for the offer. I sent my emails to the
> tester and to the support email. Hopefully, they come up with
> something actionable.

If you get a useful result it might be nice to summarize it to the list.

Loren
Re: OT - Hotmail/Outlook.com marking most of our email as Junk [ In reply to ]
Agreed, it seems to be deliberate to get people moved over to the big
providers, they are clearly discouraging independent email servers as
they clearly scored differently.

I have even been doing tests on various spare unused ip's and the
amount that get blocked by microsoft (but no other providers) is
unreal.

Also to mention their own outlook software part of office, if I even
set low level filtering, it has insane levels of false positives.

On Sat, 19 Feb 2022 at 11:12, Marc <Marc@f1-outsourcing.eu> wrote:

> Complain to the European Union. It is not in Microsoft's and google's interest to fix this. By frustrating/sabotaging other providers services, they create an environment where users are forced to switch to the outlook.com/gmail.com cloud. Eg. what you have done is already more than gmail.com is doing, they are still working with an spf ~all.
>
> This companies have billions in cash, so there is no reason not to fix this problem. This is just a management decision.
>

> > I am also having a world of trouble getting my emails to Outlook
> > users. For reference, my work domain has one user (me). I have had the
> > account for about 9 months and I have not yet sent 100 emails. I
> > typically send an email to a single recipient, although I will
> > occasionally CC a handful of people.
> >

> > What I’ve tried:
> >

> > 1. I have also set up SPF, DKIM, and DMARC. I’m *pretty sure*
> > they’re solid. Emails still go to junk.
> > 2. Initially, I didn’t have anything actually at the website for
> > my domain, so I threw my executive summary into a google site. Emails
> > still go to junk
> > 3. I've checked our public IP and the domain name at
> > mxtoolbox.com <http://mxtoolbox.com> – no errors, but it warns that a) my
> > DMARC policy isn’t q or r, and b) it doesn’t care for my SOA
> > 4. I tried to get on Microsoft’s SDNS and JMRP, but I was not
> > able. I am pretty sure I have a shared IP, but I don’t know how I would
> > check that. Microsoft also suggested I join the Return Path Safe Senders
> > program, but I am pretty sure I would need a dedicated IP for that. In
> > any case, I don’t love the idea of paying to get whitelisted so I can send
> > 11 emails a month.
> > 5. I’ve checked several sites and my domain isn’t on any
> > blacklists. However, I did register the domain through NameCheap, which
> > is on the UCEPROTECT_LVL3 list
> > 6. The domain is relatively new, as I said, but I don’t send any
> > bulk mail of any kind from it. All mail is either to people I
> > specifically know, people to whom I have received a personal introduction,
> > or people listed as contacts for their organization on public websites
> > 7. My mail is handled by Zoho Mail, so I haven’t done anything
> > fancy with the mail server. If there’s anything I should try, I will, but
> > I might need the instructions at a fifth-grade level
> > 8. I am fairly careful with my words, and the emails are
> > appropriately long, so I would be surprised if they were getting flagged
> > for trigger words. I have tried mail-tester.com <http://mail-tester.com>
> > and it did not object to the body of my emails
> > 9. Mail-tester.com claims to test emails against SA, although I
> > know this is a contentious point around here. I bring it up, though,
> > because the fact that my TLD is “.space” raised some flags
> > 10. When I have called my contacts, they have been as confused as
> > I am that they did not receive my emails
> > 11. Emails I send to any other domains are never a problem spam-
> [...]

1 2  View All