A 100% Microsoft free computer
Registered Linux User 283774 http://counter.li.org
9:44pm up 10 days, 4:33, 6 users, load average: 1.18, 1.02, 1.01
Re: Newbie setting up Bayes [ In reply to ]
Chris, it SEEMS like manual training works best. I turned off auto-training
and manually trained. It took about two days to acquire about 400 spams and
700 or 800 hams on my account. I used a simple minded rule to create a
~/mail/rawmbox in my home directory. Then I ripped through it with the old
"mail" program. The REAL filtered mail comes through a POP3 server on that
machine and I read it on this Winders box. (Hey, Linux is where a heart may
lie but Winders is where my income lies. So....{^_-})

It took some nose holding for about 2 hours total on those two days to get
.63 trained here and remarkably well behaved. Now I will take the rare
missive that sneaks through and manually find it, again with "mail", toss
it into the spam database, and retrain. That's about all of 2 minutes of
my time. I could probably get away with auto-train now. But then it would
be like inbreeding when its the messages that escape I want to use for
training. Of course, I may be all wet. I'm simply relating what has given
me most gratifying results.

{^_^}