Randomly Generated Tagline:
The autodecrement is not magical.
-- Larry Wall in the perl man page
Re: CEAS conference? [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 26 May 2004 05:54 pm, Henry Stern wrote:
> Assuming that my paper is accepted, I will be going. 5 more days of
> nail biting!

Oooh. What was your paper on?

--
Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on
fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Advanced SPAM filtering software: http://spamassassin.org
Re: CEAS conference? [ In reply to ]
Assuming that my paper is accepted, I will be going. 5 more days of
nail biting!

Henry

Re: CEAS conference? [ In reply to ]
Matthew Cline wrote:

>On Wednesday 26 May 2004 05:54 pm, Henry Stern wrote:
>

>>Assuming that my paper is accepted, I will be going. 5 more days of
>>nail biting!
>>

>Oooh. What was your paper on?

Henry Stern, Justin Mason and Michael Shepherd. A linguistics-based
attack on personalised statistical e-mail classifiers.

Abstract:
We present a potential vulnerability of personalised anti-spam filters
where an attacker sends carefully constructed e-mail messages with the
goal of negatively a ecting classi er accuracy. Words from the core of
the English language are randomly "injected" into spam e-mails for the
express purpose of manipulating the probability tables of a naive
Bayesian classifier. This attack method is shown to be successful in
reducing classifier accuracy within a laboratory environment. Barriers
to a real-world implementation and potential countermeasures are discussed.
Re: CEAS conference? [ In reply to ]
Re: CEAS conference? [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 27 May 2004 19:55 CET Justin Mason wrote:
> Henry Stern writes:
> > Abstract:
> > We present a potential vulnerability of personalised anti-spam filters
> > where an attacker sends carefully constructed e-mail messages with the
> > goal of negatively a ecting classi er accuracy. Words from the core of
> > the English language are randomly "injected" into spam e-mails for the
> > express purpose of manipulating the probability tables of a naive
> > Bayesian classifier. This attack method is shown to be successful in
> > reducing classifier accuracy within a laboratory environment. Barriers
> > to a real-world implementation and potential countermeasures are
> > discussed.
>
> 'a ecting classi er accuracy'?! back to the drawing board, lads! ;)
> (that's "affecting classifier accuracy", obviously.)

Oh. I thought it was some intelligent latin proverb I don't know...

Cheers,
Malte

--
[SGT] Simon G. Tatham: "How to Report Bugs Effectively"
<http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html>
RE: CEAS conference? [ In reply to ]
> Oh. I thought it was some intelligent latin proverb I don't know...

It is by the great poet, Adobe Acrobat.

Henry
Re: CEAS conference? [ In reply to ]
Henry Stern wrote:
> It is by the great poet, Adobe Acrobat.

I thought it was an attempt to poison the Bayes filters :-)

-- sidney
Re: CEAS conference? [ In reply to ]
Justin Mason <jm@jmason.org> wrote:

> 'a ecting classi er accuracy'?! back to the drawing board,
> lads! ;) (that's "affecting classifier accuracy", obviously.)

Someone or something trying and failing to get fancy with "ff"
and "fi" ligatures, apparently.

--
Keith C. Ivey <kcivey@cpcug.org>
Washington, DC