to help, though whether that will show additional information for errors
like this I'm not sure. Either way, how do I enable it on an existing
installation of RT? Do I go back to the unpacked source and re-run the
configure script, or is there more to it? Thanks.

--
Alex Hall
Automatic Distributors, IT department
ahall@autodist.com
Re: Enable devel-mode on existing RT instance? [ In reply to ]
On Nov 2, 2016, at 10:45 AM, Alex Hall <ahall@autodist.com<mailto:ahall@autodist.com>> wrote:

Hi all,
I'm getting an error in an overlay, but nothing is logged. I know I can use
./configure --devel-mode
to help, though whether that will show additional information for errors like this I'm not sure. Either way, how do I enable it on an existing installation of RT? Do I go back to the unpacked source and re-run the configure script, or is there more to it? Thanks.

Update your RT_SiteConfig.pm with the following and then restart apache:
Set($DevelMode, '1');

From https://docs.bestpractical.com/rt/4.4.1/RT_Config.html#Development-options

$DevelMode

RT comes with a "Development mode" setting. This setting, as a convenience for developers, turns on several of development options that you most likely don't want in production:

* Disables CSS and JS minification and concatenation. Both CSS and JS will be instead be served as a number of individual smaller files, unchanged from how they are stored on disk.
* Uses Module::Refresh<http://metacpan.org/module/Module::Refresh> to reload changed Perl modules on each request.
* Turns off Mason's static_source directive; this causes Mason to reload template files which have been modified on disk.
* Turns on Mason's HTML error_format; this renders compilation errors to the browser, along with a full stack trace. It is possible for stack traces to reveal sensitive information such as passwords or ticket content.
* Turns off caching of callbacks; this enables additional callbacks to be added while the server is running.

--
Landon Stewart
Lead Analyst - Abuse and Security Management
Re: Enable devel-mode on existing RT instance? [ In reply to ]
On November 2, 2016 9:33:32 PM GMT+01:00, Landon Stewart <lstewart@internap.com> wrote:
>On Nov 2, 2016, at 10:45 AM, Alex Hall
><ahall@autodist.com<mailto:ahall@autodist.com>> wrote:
>
>Hi all,
>I'm getting an error in an overlay, but nothing is logged. I know I can
>use
>./configure --devel-mode
>to help, though whether that will show additional information for
>errors like this I'm not sure. Either way, how do I enable it on an
>existing installation of RT? Do I go back to the unpacked source and
>re-run the configure script, or is there more to it? Thanks.
>
>Update your RT_SiteConfig.pm with the following and then restart
>apache:
>Set($DevelMode, '1');

That too but DevelMode needs a few extra non standard Perl packages. Rerun configure with the development switch added and then run make testdeps to see what will be installed, then run make fixdeps.

Joop

---------
RT 4.4 and RTIR training sessions, and a new workshop day! https://bestpractical.com/training
* Los Angeles - Q1 2017