Mailing List Archive

Re: [rt-users] New UX for RT: REST 2.0, json, and what?
Hello Alex,
Thank you for all the infos. So:
- we would join improving REST 2.0 (rtx-rest),
- we would develope an angularjs (or backbone.js) client.

I hope our work would be useful for all the RT community.

Hello Community,
If anyone has angularJS or backbone.js competency and could join us (any
way), just let us know please.

Thanks,

Ákos

Re: [rt-users] New UX for RT: REST 2.0, json, and what? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2014-03-19 at 08:13 +0100, BÁLINT Bekény wrote:
> Hi All,

I've dropped rt-users from the recipients list, as rtx-rest isn't in a
position to be relevant to en-users yet.

> We try to use the RTx-REST v2 plugin. We modified the source of RT 4.2
> with the following:
> https://github.com/bestpractical/rt/compare/4.2;support-rest-v2
> then installed the plugin and tried to use the REST interface with
> curl, but we got "internal server error" message.

I can't replicate. Installing rtx-rest atop the 4.2/support-rest-v2
branch, starting the standalone server, and running:

curl --user root:password http://localhost:8080/REST/2.0/queue/1

..produces the expected JSON.

> In the error log we have:

Please show the curl invocation you were using, and the complete error
logs.
- Alex

--
RT Training - Dallas May 20-21
http://bestpractical.com/training
Re: [rt-users] New UX for RT: REST 2.0, json, and what? [ In reply to ]
On 12/03/14, 4:33 PM, Alex Vandiver wrote:
> It is now published at
> https://github.com/bestpractical/rtx-rest -- it also requires the RT
> branch https://github.com/bestpractical/rt/tree/4.2/support-rest-v2

FYI, we just merged the required changeset into 4.2-trunk.

Wallace Reis/wreis
Software Engineer
Best Practical Solutions
--
RT Training - Dallas May 20-21
http://bestpractical.com/training
Re: [rt-users] New UX for RT: REST 2.0, json, and what? [ In reply to ]
Hi Alex, Wallace,
Thanks for the help, we finally got RESTv2 working.

Hi Felipe,
"Have you made any progress?"
As we agreed I answer here:
- so far we have create a devel 4.2 environment,
- got the new rest api working,
- earlier we had decided angularjs,
- we are just choosing IDE: there was Eclipse and Netbeans on the list,
Netbeans seems to win.
- we are considering debugging related things (ie: coding habits), since
the cross-browser debugging needs some special care.
- we have to choose a place for project communication, since you and Frank
expressed your interest in contributing.

If you have any better idea for any item of this list, let us know please.
Any advice is appreciated.

Ákos

From: "Felipe C. do R. Pinto" <felipecrp@gmail.com>
Date: 22 Mar 2014 21:29
Subject: Re: [rt-users] New UX for RT: REST 2.0, json, and what?
To: <akos.torok@docca.hu>

Hi Ákos,

I would like to join.

Have you made any progress?

Best regards,
Felipe

Re: [rt-users] New UX for RT: REST 2.0, json, and what? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On 25/03/14, 6:21 PM, akos.torok@docca.hu wrote:
> - we have to choose a place for project communication, since you and
> Frank expressed your interest in contributing.

The rt-devel list is probably a good and the right place. Additionally,
the BPS team will make sure to post there specially about the work on
new REST API.

Wallace Reis/wreis
Software Engineer
Best Practical Solutions
--
RT Training - Dallas May 20-21
http://bestpractical.com/training
Re: [rt-users] New UX for RT: REST 2.0, json, and what? [ In reply to ]
Hi Wallace,

Thanks, it's great! So we would communicate on the rt-devel list. I just
write an email to the rt-users to let them know why we disapear from that
list (since the feedbacks came from that list so far).

Regards,

Ákos

Re: [rt-users] New UX for RT: REST 2.0, json, and what? [ In reply to ]
Àkos,

- so far we have create a devel 4.2 environment,
> - got the new rest api working,

Great!

- earlier we had decided angularjs,

I would suggest some other frameworks that are really cool:

1. Twitter bootstrap for a cool and responsive interface (
http://getbootstrap.com/). It also enable css themes for the UI.
2. Less Css to make it easier to design the UI (http://lesscss.org/features/
)
3. Jquery, for easy access RT REST API (
http://api.jquery.com/jquery.getjson/)
4. Datatables for amazing table handle (http://datatables.net/index)

- we are just choosing IDE: there was Eclipse and Netbeans on the list,
> Netbeans seems to win.

Eclipse is a very powerful editor, but for html, javascript and even perl,
I really like sublime text 3.

> - we are considering debugging related things (ie: coding habits), since
> the cross-browser debugging needs some special care.

This is important. I don´t know much in perl debugging. For javascript, I
use firebug.

> - we have to choose a place for project communication, since you and Frank
> expressed your interest in contributing.

This list sounds cool, but I also think we should create a
organization/project in github to use:

1. code repo
2. wiki to record our project documentation
3. issue tracker to keep the roadmap task trackable.

Finally, I also have the following suggestions:

The UX should focus on user experience. I think we should focus on the
following use cases:

1. search for tickets
2. show tickets
3. ticket creation and maintenance

I also think we should develop keyboard shortcut in a way that users can
interact with the UX without need the mouse. (cool!)

Best regards,
Felipe

Felipe Curty do Rego Pinto
felipecrp@gmail.com
(21) 9418-0852

Re: [rt-users] New UX for RT: REST 2.0, json, and what? [ In reply to ]
Hi Felipe,

On Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 10:19 PM, Felipe C. do R. Pinto <felipecrp@gmail.com
> wrote:

> Àkos,
>
> - so far we have create a devel 4.2 environment,
>> - got the new rest api working,
>>

> Great!

Since then we've got some "hello world" thing:
- an angular client asks the user for a ticket id (via ng-model input
field),
- the angularjs code asks RT for some ticket head data (via REST),
- gets JSON answer from RT,
- and shows to the user on the html.
small step, but we are happy :)

> - earlier we had decided angularjs,
>>

> I would suggest some other frameworks that are really cool:
>
> 1. Twitter bootstrap for a cool and responsive interface (
> http://getbootstrap.com/). It also enable css themes for the UI.
> 2. Less Css to make it easier to design the UI (
> http://lesscss.org/features/)
> 3. Jquery, for easy access RT REST API (
> http://api.jquery.com/jquery.getjson/)
> 4. Datatables for amazing table handle (http://datatables.net/index)

thanks, all of them seems cool!

1. I think bootstrap very useful!
2. I don't know lesscss, but I hope it is useful as well
3. as far as I see angularjs is a natural in terms of rest/json, - maybe
jquery/getjson is overlapped with angular,
4. datatables.net: this is really great! I really want to see search
results in it this way.

> - we are just choosing IDE: there was Eclipse and Netbeans on the list,
>> Netbeans seems to win.
>>

> Eclipse is a very powerful editor, but for html, javascript and even perl,
> I really like sublime text 3.

ok, thanks, we going to test it.

>> - we are considering debugging related things (ie: coding habits), since
>> the cross-browser debugging needs some special care.
>>

> This is important. I don´t know much in perl debugging. For javascript, I
> use firebug.
>

>> - we have to choose a place for project communication, since you and
>> Frank expressed your interest in contributing.
>>

> This list sounds cool, but I also think we should create a
> organization/project in github to use:
>
> 1. code repo
> 2. wiki to record our project documentation
> 3. issue tracker to keep the roadmap task trackable.

agree. feel free to start any of them! we are here so far:

1. we are considering github
2. this is the http://requesttracker.wikia.com/wiki/RT_new_UX page I made,
feel free to modify, update, etc. - or leave it behind.
3. github

> Finally, I also have the following suggestions:
>
> The UX should focus on user experience. I think we should focus on the
> following use cases:
>
> 1. search for tickets
> 2. show tickets
> 3. ticket creation and maintenance
>
> we think the same or almost the same. here you can find the user functions
we aimed to create:
http://requesttracker.wikia.com/wiki/RT_new_UX
User functions

We are going to create a limited functionality in v1.0:

- login

- Dashboards

- Display.html combined included: Update.htm and all the standard and
custom fields user actions. I mean: user can do all the actions on the same
web page without navigation away: see the history, add comment, edit
fields. No transaction CFs in the v1.0

- Results (new ajax grid, table). I mean: user can filter, sort the rows,
and maybe edit the results list's fields. Without clicking away from the
page.

- Create new ticket

> I also think we should develop keyboard shortcut in a way that users can
> interact with the UX without need the mouse. (cool!)

yes, absolutely agree - and we already made it in classic RT, since I like
that way of working.

Best regards,

Ákos

Re: [rt-users] New UX for RT: REST 2.0, json, and what? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2014-04-03 at 23:33 +0200, akos.torok@docca.hu wrote:

> Since then we've got some "hello world" thing:
> - an angular client asks the user for a ticket id (via ng-model input
> field),
> - the angularjs code asks RT for some ticket head data (via REST),
> - gets JSON answer from RT,
> - and shows to the user on the html.
>
> small step, but we are happy :)

Is your source control public yet?
- Alex

--
RT Training - Dallas May 20-21
http://bestpractical.com/training
Re: [rt-users] New UX for RT: REST 2.0, json, and what? [ In reply to ]
Hi Alex,

We will manage the code on github soon.

Now, it's really just an AngularJS "hello world":

<!doctype html>
<head>
<title>AngularJS test: get ticket via RESTv2</title>
<script src="
https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/angularjs/1.0.8/angular.min.js
"></script>
<script>
function GetTicket($scope, $http) {
$scope.addTicket = function() {
var tid = $scope.TicketId;
$http.get("https://lajos:asdfasdf@dox4.docca.hu/REST/2.0/ticket/" + tid).
success(function(data) {
$scope.ticketdata = data;
});
};
}
</script>
</head>

<form ng-submit="addTicket()">
<input ng-model="TicketId">
</form>

--
Bekeny

Re: [rt-users] New UX for RT: REST 2.0, json, and what? [ In reply to ]
Good job.

Just made a proof of concept with bootstrap, less and datables. Take a look
plz.

https://github.com/felipecrp/rtux

Best regards,
Felipe