Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Alert when multiple repeated lines are found [ In reply to ]
Just to keep everyone update. I got a private mail with some details not
to be posted publically. However, Julian stated that he does not use
$ActionExecOnlyEveryNthTimeTimeout.

With that (and the non-public) info, I think that the missing
$ActionExecOnlyEveryNthTimeTimeout is the culprit. I have not asked how
often the receiving syslogd is restarted or huped. Julian, please let me
know. If it is sufficiently seldom, I think it could be an "old"
message.

I think about this scenario: a message comes it at, eg., 10am. That's
count 1. Then, nothing happens for the next 10 hours. At 8pm, the next
one occurs. That's count 2. Another 5 hours later, the next message
occurs, bringing the total count to 3. Thus, this message now triggers
the rule.

The question is if this is desired behavior? Or should the rule only be
triggered if the messages occur within an e.g. 20 minute window? If the
later is the case, you need a

$ActionExecOnlyEveryNthTimeTimeout 1200

This directive will timeout previous messages seen if they are older
than 20 minutes. In the example above, the count would now be always 1
and consequently no rule would ever be triggered (and that's the reason
why this directive is present;)).

Does this make sense? Does it match what you see?

Rainer

http://download.rsyslog.com/rsyslog/rsyslog-3.21.3-Test3.tar.gz

> > $ActionExecOnlyEveryNthTimeTimeout.

> > > completeness.
> > it.

Is
> > > this

> already
> > an
> willing
I'm

Alert when multiple repeated lines are found [ In reply to ]
Rainer,

Yes, after looking at it some more, I guess I do need to have the
$ActionExecOnlyEveryNthTimeTimeout setting. Your explanation below
clarifies things a lot.

I guess I was confused with my existing
$ActionExecOnlyOnceEveryInterval setting and thinking that was
similar.

That should fix my issue.

- Julian

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 11:31 PM, Rainer Gerhards