general and to which severity.

Thanks,

Al
rsyslog in general [ In reply to ]
2008/4/23, lanas <lanas at securenet.net>:
> Hello,
>
> I'd be interested to use rsyslog in a production environment. On one
> side I have the impression that it is a stable product but then if I
> look at the releases, they are quite numerous over a small amount of
> time. I would like to know what is the average count of bug fixes in
> general and to which severity.

There are frequent releases of devel "snapshots".

For stable releases you should check out
http://www.rsyslog.com/Downloads-req-viewsdownload-sid-1.phtml
(not sure if you are already aware of that)

Or do you also have concerns about the frequency of stable releases?

Cheers,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?
rsyslog in general [ In reply to ]
Le Mercredi, 23 Avril 2008 02:37:15 +0200,
"Michael Biebl" <mbiebl at gmail.com> a ?crit :

>> I'd be interested to use rsyslog in a production environment. On
>> one side I have the impression that it is a stable product but then
>> if I look at the releases, they are quite numerous over a small
>> amount of time. I would like to know what is the average count of
>> bug fixes in general and to which severity.

> There are frequent releases of devel "snapshots".

> For stable releases you should check out
> http://www.rsyslog.com/Downloads-req-viewsdownload-sid-1.phtml
> (not sure if you are already aware of that)

Thanks. The package I ended up with was version 3.17.1. What about
this version ? It is not tagged as beta, although it is development.
What is the schedule for a stable release of that version ? I see that
the page you gave lists 3.14 as stable.

> Or do you also have concerns about the frequency of stable releases?

Well, to have a grasp at how the development is planned and one would
be great.

Cheers,

Al
rsyslog in general [ In reply to ]
2008/4/23, lanas <lanas at securenet.net>:
> Le Mercredi, 23 Avril 2008 02:37:15 +0200,
> "Michael Biebl" <mbiebl at gmail.com> a ?crit :
>

> >> I'd be interested to use rsyslog in a production environment. On
> >> one side I have the impression that it is a stable product but then
> >> if I look at the releases, they are quite numerous over a small
> >> amount of time. I would like to know what is the average count of
> >> bug fixes in general and to which severity.
>
> > There are frequent releases of devel "snapshots".
>
> > For stable releases you should check out
> > http://www.rsyslog.com/Downloads-req-viewsdownload-sid-1.phtml
> > (not sure if you are already aware of that)
>

> Thanks. The package I ended up with was version 3.17.1. What about
> this version ? It is not tagged as beta, although it is development.
> What is the schedule for a stable release of that version ? I see that
> the page you gave lists 3.14 as stable.

3.17.1 is from the devel branch, so I wouldn't recommend it for production use.
The version numbering has been in discussion not long ago, so take the
following with a grain of salt (Rainer, the lead author, will probably
have additional information).

2.0.x is the old-stable branch (the current version being 2.0.4). If
you want something ultra-stable, without the need for some of the nice
feature of the v3 branch, take this one.

The first stable release of the v3 branch was 3.14.1 (the current
version being 3.14.2). If you need some of the features of the v3
branch, go with 3.14.2.

Stable versions are even numbered (second digit).

See also
http://www.rsyslog.com/doc-status.html

The devel branch is usually for bleeding edge stuff and has a odd
numbered second digit.
The beta branch is for stabilizing features, resulting in the next
stable release. I also has a odd numbered second digit.

> > Or do you also have concerns about the frequency of stable releases?
>

> Well, to have a grasp at how the development is planned and one would
> be great.

http://www.rsyslog.com/doc-status.html
http://www.rsyslog.com/doc-features.html
http://www.rsyslog.com/doc-v3compatibility.html
http://www.rsyslog.com/doc

HTH,
rsyslog in general [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

Michael has done an excellent job of summing up things :)

Just let me add a few thoughts. First of all, the versioning document needs to be updated and I'll do that soon ;)

The frequent releases are a result of rapid development. There is lots to do and we do it quickly. This, of course, introduces bugs. To develop rapidly and still provide stable releases, we have settled on this for now:

The v2-stable is a feature-dead end. It receives patches only. Ultra-stable, quite featureless. V3-stable primarily receives patches but from time to time new functionality is integrated. This functionality ripens in the beta branch. The devel version has the newest code and most bugs. It is NOT recommended for production use. At some point in time, beta is branched off devel. Beta than receives bug fixes, but no new features. After some time (between 3 and 10 weeks, depending on bug reports), beta becomes v3-stable.

Even inside stable or beta or devel there are several levels of maturity - some code is unmodified for more than a year, while other just recently made it into stable. I have recently begun to add some information about when features have been introduced into a version. The general rule is that the newer a feature is, the more likely it contains bugs.

In general, rsyslog is rock-solid. However, some so far seldomly-used features (expression based filters are a good example) has seen limited exposure to practice. Such features are more likely to have problems. If you try judge project and feature stability, it may be a good idea to look at the bugzilla and the code commits:

http://bugzilla.adiscon.com/buglist.cgi?cmdtype=runnamed&namedcmd=rsyslog-all
http://git.adiscon.com/?p=rsyslog.git;a=summary

You may also want to have a look at my blog, where I post anything of note. It's also a good place to see what is going on and actually even to see what is giving me a hard time every now and then:

http://rgerhards.blogspot.com

Finally, if you let me know what you intend to do, I can provide you my personal view of how stable the required features are. But as I said - it's pretty stable now. Rsyslog also recently made it into Red Hat Enterprise Linux (5.2) and you probably know that these folks are quite conservative when it comes to stability ;)

HTH
Rainer