know: I do not intend to let it automatically generate the doc - that
would fail miserably. :-)

Rainer
Re: New Doc Effort [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jan 4, 2024 at 11:31?AM Rainer Gerhards via rsyslog
<rsyslog@lists.adiscon.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> happy new year to everyone!
>
> I think I have some good news. I have initiated a new project to
> enhance doc and rsyslog website. Initial announcement is here:
>
> https://www.rsyslog.com/improving-the-rsyslog-documentation/

Happy New Year!

This is great news!

-Peter

Re: New Doc Effort [ In reply to ]
Hi Rainer!

FINALLY! That's great news! As I'm unemployed at the moment I can do some
volunteering also. Feel free to reach me directly if anything!

Thank you!

On Thu, 4 Jan 2024 at 20:31, Rainer Gerhards via rsyslog <

--
Yury Bushmelev
Re: New Doc Effort [ In reply to ]
Wonderful! It was hard to navigate and I think I had to reach out for help
a couple of times just because of the documentation.

You will benefit from this in the end ????

Best regards Johan Ryberg

Re: New Doc Effort [ In reply to ]
Hi all,

thanks for the great feedback!

Any help is appreciated. I am actually looking for four kind of things
right now in regard to the core doc:

* how would a beginner's guide structure best be? What do we need to
describe for someone new to rsyslog and syslog?
* suggestions for restructuring the reference manual
* what would be good FAQ items?
* thinking about news-/blog-like content: what type of postings would
you like to see on rsyslog.com

As a side-note, we have run into an issue with our wordpress theme,
which is currently under evaluation: That's a show stopper for further
web site updates. I assume we'll solve that early next week.

Thanks again,
Rainer

Re: New Doc Effort [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 6 Jan 2024, Rainer Gerhards via rsyslog wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> thanks for the great feedback!
>
> Any help is appreciated. I am actually looking for four kind of things
> right now in regard to the core doc:
>
> * how would a beginner's guide structure best be? What do we need to
> describe for someone new to rsyslog and syslog?
> * suggestions for restructuring the reference manual

I think in general, the per-module pages are fairly good. (listing each option,
it's defaults, the legacy format and a brief description)

I think we need to add (either as a link, or as a block) the options that are
inherited (i.e. the things that every action has, queues, name, etc)

I think the other thing is to have multiple pages that link to the per-module
pages, one in simple alpha order and one or more that do so by category

I think it would be good to bring back some of the legacy examples to the pages
(they were purged a few revisions ago in an effort to encourage the new format,
but that puts people in a bit of a bind when looking at old configs and
understanding them)

the properties/variables pages need to be re-written. They are currently several
pages based on how the variables/properties evolved in rsyslog, I think a
re-write that starts off with an explination that ignores that history and talks
about how they are used (and then has a history section at the bottom or as a
link) would be better

I'll comment more as I think of things

David Lang