Mailing List Archive

RFC: removing rsyslog.service samples from git
Hi all,

the git repository contains rsyslog.service sample files. Actually,
these have not been updated for years and do no longer match distro
policies.

Thankfully, Michael Biebl sent a PR to update the Debian parts. We had
a small discussion about the usefulness of these files at all. Michael
would be fine with removing them, and I think this is probably the
wisest thing to do. After all, these are not guinea rsyslog files.

Instead, we can replace them with hints where to look inside the
distro repositories. But I would not tend to do big research to find
all of them.

The PR is this one:

https://github.com/rsyslog/rsyslog/pull/5252

Question now: does anybody object to removing the rsyslog.service
files? If so, why is it important to keep them - and maybe how to
better maintain them.

TIA,
Rainer
Re: RFC: removing rsyslog.service samples from git [ In reply to ]
Hi Rainer:

Our source of truth for rsyslog.service has always been the copy packaged with the OS, and all modifications to it have come from vendor and systemd documentation. I do not personally see a need for that file to reside in the rsyslog repo.

Regards,

Re: RFC: removing rsyslog.service samples from git [ In reply to ]
Makes sense to me, they are far more dependent on the distro decisions than
anything we provide.

David Lang

Re: RFC: removing rsyslog.service samples from git [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the comments. Done via

https://github.com/rsyslog/rsyslog/pull/5255

Rainer