Mailing List Archive

Permission Denied when running rsyslog
Hi,
I am setting up centralized logging from FreeIPA version 4.10.1 running on
CentOs.
I have tried to set up the logging, initially just the access log, using
this config (with domain and ips obfuscated)

module(load="imfile")

input(type="imfile" File="/var/log/dirsrv/slapd-MY_DOMAIN/access"
Tag="ipa-security-log" Facility="local0")

# Forward local facilities

if $syslogfacility >= 16 then @my_ip_adress:514

When restarting rsyslog with this config , I get error message (with
servername and domains obfuscated):

Aug 29 10:46:28 myserver.mydomain.net systemd[1]: Starting System Logging
Service...

Aug 29 10:46:28 myserver.mydomain.net rsyslogd[12607]: *imfile: on startup
file '/var/log/dirsrv/slapd-MY-DOMAIN/access' does not exist but is
configured in static file monitor - this may indicate a misconfiguration.
If the file appears at a later time, it will automatically be processed.
Reason: Permission denied [v8.2102.0-109.el9]*

Aug 29 10:46:28 myserver.mydomain.net systemd[1]: Started System Logging
Service.

Aug 29 10:46:28 myserver.mydomain.net rsyslogd[12607]: [origin
software="rsyslogd" swVersion="8.2102.0-109.el9" x-pid="12607" x-info="
https://www.rsyslog.com"] start

Aug 29 10:46:28 myserver.mydomain.net rsyslogd[12607]: *imfile: error
accessing file '/var/log/dirsrv/slapd-MY-DOMAIN/access': Permission denied
[v8.2102.0-109.el9]*

Aug 29 10:46:28 myserver.mydomain.net rsyslogd[12607]: *imjournal: journal
files changed, reloading... [v8.2102.0-109.el9 try
https://www.rsyslog.com/e/0 <https://www.rsyslog.com/e/0> ]*

I have observed the following, following tips on various threads and info
found on internet.

- rsyslog is working as intended when exporting the standard linux logs
- rsyslog is running as root. There is no drop privileges configured. I
have checked this in the /etc/rsyslog.conf, and I also see that rsyslog is
running as root when using ps -ef | grep rsyslogd
- running as root should enable it to read any file
-
- I have tried to turn off SELinix, the problem remains the same. I have
also checked logs , but there are no signs of SELinux being the cause of
the problem.

- FreeIPA is using its system user dirsrv when creating the files.
- The ownership of the directories and files are as follows:

drwxr-xr-x. 3 root root 28 Aug 23 15:23 *dirsrv*

drwxrwx--x. 2 dirsrv dirsrv 4096 Aug 28 16:55 *slapd-MY-DOMAIN*

-rw-------. 1 dirsrv dirsrv 6007159 Aug 29 10:56 *access*

- I have tried to manually change the access rights of the access file
with chmod o+r access and set chmod o+x on the slapd-directory. This
removes the error after restart of rsyslog, and rsyslog exports the logs as
expected.
- However, due to the FreeIpa log rotation set-up, new files are created
and rotated removing the read access for others, and the logging stops
again.

Has anyone seen anything similar, does anyone have any clues about what the
cause of this could be?

regards,
Ole
Re: Permission Denied when running rsyslog [ In reply to ]
you have already identified the problem, the files are being created with
permissions that prohibit rsyslog from reading them.

you may be able to add root to the group dirsrv to allow rsyslog to read them,
otherwise you need to figure out a way to create the files with different
permissions.

David Lang

Re: Permission Denied when running rsyslog [ In reply to ]
Since rsyslog is running as root, I thought it should be able to read any
file on the system, regardless file permissions?
Adding rsyslog to the dirsrv group does not solve the problem since the
file permissions for the access file only allows the user dirsrv to read
/write, not the group dirsrv.
-rw-------. 1 dirsrv dirsrv 6007159 Aug 29 10:56 *access*

-Ole

Re: Permission Denied when running rsyslog [ In reply to ]
It might be worth contacting Red Hat if there is a patch inside their
version that causes the issue.

Alternatively, you can try rsyslog from the project itself.

And maybe there are some other OS settings that cause this issue.

My 2cts,
Rainer

Re: Permission Denied when running rsyslog [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 30 Aug 2023, Ole Froslie wrote:

> Since rsyslog is running as root, I thought it should be able to read any
> file on the system, regardless file permissions?

no, it can (eventually) set permissions so it can read it, which you did by
doing o+r (which also shows that it's not SELinux

but when the file rolls and sets the permissions on the new file, root can no
longer read it.

> Adding rsyslog to the dirsrv group does not solve the problem since the
> file permissions for the access file only allows the user dirsrv to read
> /write, not the group dirsrv.
> -rw-------. 1 dirsrv dirsrv 6007159 Aug 29 10:56 *access*

so it's setting it so that only something running as the user dirsrv can read
it, you need to change the settings in that program.

or as a horrible work around, you could run a second copy of rsyslog as the user
dirsrv to read the file and sent it to your main instance.

but fixing it so that something other that the user dirsrv can read it will
probably be your best option.

David Lang

> [...]
>>>

>>> - FreeIPA is using its system user dirsrv when creating the files.
>>> - The ownership of the directories and files are as follows:
>>>
>>> drwxr-xr-x. 3 root root 28 Aug 23 15:23 *dirsrv*
>>>
>>> drwxrwx--x. 2 dirsrv dirsrv 4096 Aug 28 16:55 *slapd-MY-DOMAIN*
>>>
>>> -rw-------. 1 dirsrv dirsrv 6007159 Aug 29 10:56 *access*
>>>

>>> - I have tried to manually change the access rights of the access file
>>> with chmod o+r access and set chmod o+x on the slapd-directory. This
>>> removes the error after restart of rsyslog, and rsyslog exports the
>> logs as
>>> expected.
>>> - However, due to the FreeIpa log rotation set-up, new files are
>> created
>>> and rotated removing the read access for others, and the logging stops
>>> again.
>>>

>>> Has anyone seen anything similar, does anyone have any clues about what

>>> Ole

Re: Permission Denied when running rsyslog [ In reply to ]
When logged in as root, I can read the file with its permissions set to
-rw------- , for example using "cat access". This outputs the content of
the file on my terminal screen.
I do not understand the difference between reading with cat , and rsyslog
reading when running as root?

I agree that it should be possible to configure the system creating the
file and doing the roll, so that the file is readable by others.
On the other hand, these are log files of a security related system so it
is understandable that access is very limited.

Re: Permission Denied when running rsyslog [ In reply to ]
There is a patch by Red Hat that limits rsyslog capabilities. One
capability is CAP_DAC_OVERRIDE, which permits to bypass permission
checks. IMHO it should not be dropped even with the patch present, but
it sounds like it is. Please also note that there are different
versions of that patch available.

My guess is that you have a patched version which drops that capability.

We (Adiscon, rsyslog's main sponsor) do not currently apply that patch
in our package build process, as it gave a couple of folks trouble.
Thus I asked if it works with our native version. In any case, it
would make sense for you to contact Red Hat support.

HTH
Rainer

El mié, 30 ago 2023 a las 13:24, Ole Froslie via rsyslog

Re: Permission Denied when running rsyslog [ In reply to ]
Ole,

it probably is a good idea to file this as a github issue and tag
@cropi while doing so.

The last fix to that patch was this here:

https://github.com/rsyslog/rsyslog/pull/5166

Rainer