It kind of work for our purpose but I always get a random string looking
like this: A18F8D7067FE4DE793EC8B9CB95BDDB4

The problem is that it's not really a "uuid" per definition?

I can't find any information about this feature in the documentation and I
wonder if it can be modified to a uuid version 4 with correct format?

Where can I read about this property? I expected it to be here:
https://www.rsyslog.com/doc/v8-stable/configuration/properties.html

Best regards Johan
Re: Can't find uuid property information [ In reply to ]
I checked, it's contributed code that I just merged (via commit and
some fixes). It depends on libuuid. Patch is here:

https://github.com/rsyslog/rsyslog/commit/744d7c426da4aa3229771358a5da27b79e2edf52

If you have text for the doc, feel free to create a doc PR or at least
le me know some suggestions.

HTH
Rainer

Re: Can't find uuid property information [ In reply to ]
"the nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from"

there is not a single standard for uuid, there are many. As Rainer says, you
will need to check the code for the details.

David Lang

Re: Can't find uuid property information [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Aug 26, 2012 :) that was 10 years ago

Anyhow, yes, it generates some kind of unique id and I checked the code and
it seems it does not create a valid uuid, it's just a random string with
hex characters or maybe it's converted from
"6ba7b812-9dad-11d1-80b4-00c04fd430c8" to 6BA7B8129DAD11D180B400C04FD430C8
without dashes and uppercase?

One might expect uuid to look something like this, each segment hex encoded

UUID = time-low "-" time-mid "-"
time-high-and-version "-"
clock-seq-and-reserved
clock-seq-low "-" node

Is this by purpose? Is there any way to get a valid uuid defined in
https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4122.html ?

Best regards Johan Ryberg