Mailing List Archive

Client syslog messages are logged twice
Hi

I'm running rsyslog v2.0.6, and have the following setup:

rsyslog clients => rsyslog relay => rsyslog master <= rsyslog clients

The /etc/rsyslog.conf file at the master has these lines in it:

**

*$template
DynaFile,"/var/log/syslog-clients/%HOSTNAME%/%$YEAR%/%$MONTH%/system-%HOSTNAME%-%$NOW%.log"

*.* -?DynaFile

* At my rsyslog master I see that many (or all) the client log messages are
logged in two the different places, both under its hostname (i.e. %HOSTNAME%
is replaced by the hostname) and under its IP-adresss (i.e. %HOSTNAME% is
replaced by the IP-adress). So in effect, all the messages are logged in
twice. I figured it might have something to do with reverse DNS, so I added
the necessary entries the /etc/hosts-file, but with no success. Does anyone
have a clue as to why this is happening?

Regards,
Kenneth