Mailing List Archive

Still Dumping to Console
I am still attempting to get the logging to stop dumping to console.
IPtables is the only one doing this. I am currently logging to a different
file by adding kern.warning /var/log/iptables.log to rsyslog.conf
and --log-level 4 argument for the LOG targets. The data is making it to
the file as specified, but is also being echoed to console if one of the
tty's is displayed. It does echo to console in an X environment though,
even a Konsole. I have check and found no logging references in the
sysctl.conf file. I have completely removed the line: #kern.*
/dev/console from the rsyslog.conf file, and have looked for auxilliary
logging processes running and found none. I'm not skilled enough to fully
understand the sysctl -a output so that could be the next possible culprit.
If someone wants to take a look at that, rather than dumping it here and
flooding you with huge email, you can find this at:
http://fpaste.org/paste/6106

If there is something I'm overlooking or if there's some other way to fix
this and force the correct behavior please let me know. As I don't quite
have your skills with linux yet, please try to include as much information
as you can, to assist with the fix. Again this is under Fedora 10.
uname -a gives: Linux MTFedora 2.6.27.19-170.2.35.fc10.i686 #1 SMP Mon Feb
23 13:21:22 EST 2009 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux if that gives any help.

Thank You so much,

Michael Tant
Re: Still Dumping to Console [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 14 Mar 2009, Michael Tant wrote:

> I am still attempting to get the logging to stop dumping to console.
> IPtables is the only one doing this. I am currently logging to a different
> file by adding kern.warning /var/log/iptables.log to rsyslog.conf
> and --log-level 4 argument for the LOG targets. The data is making it to
> the file as specified, but is also being echoed to console if one of the
> tty's is displayed. It does echo to console in an X environment though,
> even a Konsole. I have check and found no logging references in the
> sysctl.conf file. I have completely removed the line: #kern.*
> /dev/console from the rsyslog.conf file, and have looked for auxilliary
> logging processes running and found none. I'm not skilled enough to fully
> understand the sysctl -a output so that could be the next possible culprit.
> If someone wants to take a look at that, rather than dumping it here and
> flooding you with huge email, you can find this at:
> http://fpaste.org/paste/6106
>
> If there is something I'm overlooking or if there's some other way to fix
> this and force the correct behavior please let me know. As I don't quite
> have your skills with linux yet, please try to include as much information
> as you can, to assist with the fix. Again this is under Fedora 10.
> uname -a gives: Linux MTFedora 2.6.27.19-170.2.35.fc10.i686 #1 SMP Mon Feb
> 23 13:21:22 EST 2009 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux if that gives any help.

my ubuntu desktop has the following in /etc/sysctl.conf

# the following stops low-level messages on console
kernel.printk = 4 4 1 7