'problems getting it to compile' (unfortunantly no details yet)

has anyone tried this?

David Lang
Re: rsyslog on AIX [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2009-01-16 at 18:42 -0800, david@lang.hm wrote:
> we are looking at using rsyslog on AIX and the sysadmins are reporting
> 'problems getting it to compile' (unfortunantly no details yet)
>
> has anyone tried this?

All I know is that it doesn't work. No idea on how hard it is to get
this right. Some time ago I was interested in porting (and had the
time...) but found neither (virtual) hardware/software nor anyone
interested in it. So I dropped the idea. I'd still be very interested in
a port, but now unfortunately have much less time...

Rainer

Re: rsyslog on AIX [ In reply to ]
taking a quick look at the article, this looks like they are running Linux, not
AIX (talk of using the centos .rpm packages)

David Lang

Re: rsyslog on AIX [ In reply to ]
On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 3:19 PM, David Lang <david@lang.hm> wrote:

> taking a quick look at the article, this looks like they are running
> Linux, not AIX (talk of using the centos .rpm packages)

oops, sorry for spreading false info, maybe I was too quick.

I thought this was related to some porting work they did. I have some
patches from IBM with me which we talk about integration into the rsyslog
main tree. The problem currently is that this is for an old version
(5.8.somewhat) and IBM has not yet agreed to provide the code under ASL
2.0. As much of the newer code is under ASL, I cannot merge up the IBM
contribution. If they don't agree to ASL, I'l still include the code into
the repository, but just as a "dead end" branch -- or I may opt not to
merge it, so that someone else (or I) can do some porting work myself (I
did not yet look at the actual contribution, so so far there is no
pollution issue with the GPLv3 code they provided).

Given the timing and a quick glimpse, I thought this was the extension
pack...

Anyhow: there is work going on to run under AIX ;)

Rainer
Re: rsyslog on AIX [ In reply to ]
In theory, you can build rsyslog from the sources yourself - except
when something was broken in the meantime.

Side-note: we offered IBM to keep rsyslog AIX compatible if they
provide a buildbot worker for CI checking and some advise on problems.
but they seemed not very interested in that option.

HTH
Rainer