Mailing List Archive

rsyslog support for other chrooted apps
NB, in this email, I am *not* referring to any potential chroot
support within rsyslog itself!

In an OS like OpenBSD, some/many daemons run in a chroot jail, two
common examples include postfix and named.

The stock syslogd on OpenBSD supports this by a command line option "-
a" that adds new /dev/log devices.

Thus, on one of my machines, syslogd is run like this:

syslogd -a /var/spool/postfix/dev/log -a /var/named/dev/log -a /var/
empty/dev/log

Which adds the three additional /dev/logs to the standard /dev/log,
and syslogd reads them all.

In further testing of the OpenBSD port of rsyslog that I posted
earlier this week,

http://lists.adiscon.net/pipermail/rsyslog/2008-November/001395.html

I finally realized that it is going to difficult to replace the stock
OpenBSD syslogd with rsyslogd unless it supports something like this.

Questions,

Does rsyslog support anything like this already?

If not, how difficult would it be to add this, and do people here
think this is valuable addition, or not?

Don

Re: rsyslog support for other chrooted apps [ In reply to ]
Hi Don,

I guess you were lost in the docs (it needs to be restrucuted some
day... I begun with that, but that didn't yet result in improved ease of
use, to phrase it politely ;)).

You use case is described in the relevant module's doc:

http://www.rsyslog.com/doc-imuxsock.html

Please let me know if that solves the issue.

Rainer