Would it be something difficult to add to the roadmap? :)

Thanks,
-Aaron
Re: output compression... [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 10:05, Aaron Wiebe <epiphani@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been looking for some method to automatically compress output
> files from a syslog service - rsyslogd seems to be the most flexible
> in terms of base architecture. Has anyone written a zlib-based (or
> some gzip implementation) output module for writing files to disk
> already compressed?
>
> Would it be something difficult to add to the roadmap? :)

It's on my personal roadmap, but fell behind circular logs (FBSD
clog-compatible) and my screwing around with Windows .evt formats.
Don't know if anyone else has looked at it.

Even though it should be a well-received addition, the problem is that
most users do well enough with logrotate or its ilk to manage log
compression and don't count it too high on their priorities.
Re: output compression... [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I have not much to add to RB's remark. I agree to his analysis. I'd like
to do it, but always higher priority things come in between...

Rainer

Re: output compression... [ In reply to ]
Understood - thanks for the response.

Can you point me at some docs for your modules API? I may see what I
can do on my own here...

Thanks,
-Aaron

Re: output compression... [ In reply to ]
> Can you point me at some docs for your modules API? I may see what I
> can do on my own here...

I would suggest starting with plugins/omtesting, plugins/imtemplate
and tools/omfile.* - those helped me jump in PDQ. The following URLs
were also helpful:

http://www.rsyslog.com/doc-generic_design.html
http://www.rsyslog.com/doc-modules.html
Re: output compression... [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2008-10-22 at 13:40 -0600, RB wrote:
> > Can you point me at some docs for your modules API? I may see what I
> > can do on my own here...
>
> I would suggest starting with plugins/omtesting, plugins/imtemplate
> and tools/omfile.* - those helped me jump in PDQ. The following URLs
> were also helpful:
>
> http://www.rsyslog.com/doc-generic_design.html
> http://www.rsyslog.com/doc-modules.html

That's a good suggestion. In this case, I would also tend to modifying
omfile.c directly. This, too me, sounds much like just adding the
ability to zip before doing the write() call.

If you intend to contribute back the patch, I can lend you a helping
hand (as much as time permits, unfortunately) during the process.

Rainer

Re: output compression... [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 7:23 AM, Rainer Gerhards
<rgerhards@hq.adiscon.com> wrote:

> That's a good suggestion. In this case, I would also tend to modifying
> omfile.c directly. This, too me, sounds much like just adding the
> ability to zip before doing the write() call.

Yes, I've read omfile.c - I will likely be following this route.

> If you intend to contribute back the patch, I can lend you a helping
> hand (as much as time permits, unfortunately) during the process.

Unfortunately that is at the whim of my employer. I have a process
started to try to clear such things, but for now I will have to work
alone.

Thanks,
-Aaron