Thank you very much, yours

lorenzo

+-------------------------+----------------------------------------------+
| Lorenzo M. Catucci | Centro di Calcolo e Documentazione |
| catucci@ccd.uniroma2.it | Università degli Studi di Roma "Tor Vergata" |
| | Via O. Raimondo 18 ** I-00173 ROMA ** ITALY |
| Tel. +39 06 7259 2255 | Fax. +39 06 7259 2125 |
+-------------------------+----------------------------------------------+
Re: Another gdb backtrace [ In reply to ]
Just to double-check: does the abort happen

a) immediately
b) relatively soon after start
c) some time after start, probably late

I think it is b). Reason for question: I would eventually like to add some instrumentation, but that makes sense only if we do not need to wade through several GB of debug log...

Rainer

Re: Another gdb backtrace [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 22 Sep 2008, Rainer Gerhards wrote:

RG> Just to double-check: does the abort happen
RG>
RG> a) immediately
RG> b) relatively soon after start
RG> c) some time after start, probably late
RG>
RG> I think it is b). Reason for question: I would eventually like to add
RG> some instrumentation, but that makes sense only if we do not need to
RG> wade through several GB of debug log...

The free-running doesn't survive more than a couple of hours; I still
haven't tried a free-running with -dn appended; let me know if you'd
prefer for me to try starting the daemon now, or if it's better if
I wait for some more commits.

As for testing, in as much as I understand, to reproduce the problem we
are going after there would be a need for a load-test harness, and some
patience, since, in my case, the "writer" server does work without any
problem, and the crashes do happen on one of my loaded mail gateways,
which get some thousand messages per hour, and do antispam and antivirus
work, with sendmail, mailscanner and clamav each spewing a lot of messages
to filter and dispose of.

See you later, yours

lorenzo