Mailing List Archive

Logging to MySQL
Hi,

I'm brand new to rsyslog, just reading the pages on the website.

I found rsyslog through sourceforge but it doesn't look like the sourceforge
page has been updated for some time (it still shows 1.0.0).

Anyway, in reading the bit about MySQL logging Rainer says:

In short: try to avoid database downtime if you do not want to experience
message loss.

Although I've never done this before (but will spend time on getting it
working sometime this year), I know people who successfully log to SQLite
databases on the local host, then sync those logs to a central MySQL server.

This means that if the MySQL server goes down for any reason, the logging app
continues to log to the _local_ SQLite server on the local host, and when the
central MySQL server comes up, the cron job that automatically syncs SQLite
entries with the central database continue to proceed.

This means no loss of system messages ever.

I personally haven't done that before but would suggest that is a solution to
the logging problem Rainer describes on the website.

Regards,

Michael.