Mailing List Archive

Minor updates to 1.3-dev
Bernard Fischer has been working overtime with his patching of ripMIME, consequently there have been some usability and portability improvements to ripMIME in the last week or so.

As usual, the development version ( 1.3-dev ) is available for download at:

http://www.pldaniels.com/ripmime/ripmime-1.3-dev.tar.gz

If anyone has any outstanding issues / queries / dud-mailpacks, let me know :-)

CHANGELOG
-------------------------------------
Sat Mar 01 2003
- PLD: Patched parameter parsing code to allow it to accept non-space
seperated parameters, ie, -d/tmp ( Patch supplied by Bernard Fischer )

Sat Feb 22 2003
- PLD: TNEF: Corrected pointer clobbering on 64-bit systems in TNEF decoding,
and added memory allocation free'ing. Both patches submitted by
Bernard Fischer and adapted by PLD

--
Paul L Daniels http://www.pldaniels.com
Linux/Unix systems Internet Development
Re: Minor updates - a pending suggestion [ In reply to ]
> As usual, the development version ( 1.3-dev ) is available for
>[...]
> If anyone has any outstanding issues / queries / dud-mailpacks, let me know :-)

Hi Paul,

Is that fix (suggested earlier) for naming output files
going to be considered?

As a reminder: it's about consolidating the

textfile1 -> textfile0

slip, which currently (v1.2.17.0) requires heuristic
logic in the caller program to properly distinguish
between mail formats (e.g. multipart or plain) in
order to find the default message text.

Now, that textfile0 is the "This is a MIME message."
text for MIME and the actual text is in textfile1,
but that is textfile0 for non-MIME, the application
is required to know something that Ripmime knows much
better, but won't tell... ;)

A nice and transparent way of handling this is to
add "textfile0" as a "pseudo part" for non-multipart
mails, with a content like: "This is *not* a multipart
message". And put the actual message to textfile1,
as is with MIME.

Thus aplications would gain twofold:

- not only gone is the fiddling with figuring out
whether we need textfile1 or textfile0, because
we can *know* we never actually need textfile0
any more,

- but Ripmime also explicitly *tells* us if the mail
was not multipart.

How come nobody else has bumped into / showed interest
in this problem, only me? :) What am I missing? Please
let me know if yes, or please, add this simple enhancement.

Thanks very much!
Sab
Re: Minor updates - a pending suggestion + ... [ In reply to ]
Or, alternatively (which is also better in terms
of efficiency), simply don't generate textfile0
for plain single-part messages, so applications can
check the mail format by just access("textfile0")
(or something like that).

Sab

Re: Minor updates to 1.3-dev - 404 [ In reply to ]
> As usual, the development version ( 1.3-dev ) is available for download at:
>
> http://www.pldaniels.com/ripmime/ripmime-1.3-dev.tar.gz

Sorry, the package does not seem to be there.

Cheers,
Sab