Mailing List Archive

rancid hangs on 'show controllers'
Hello. I have a 1750, just upgraded to 12.3(6). Rancid hangs when
polling this device. I did a 'ps' to see the clogin line used:

clogin -t 90 -c "show version;show install active;show env all;show gsr
chassis;show boot;show bootvar;show variables boot;show flash;dir /all
nvram:;dir /all bootflash:;dir /all slot0:;dir /all disk0:;dir /all
slot1:;dir /all disk1:;dir /all slot2:;dir /all disk2:;dir /all
sup-bootflash:;dir /all sup-microcode:;show controllers;show controllers
cbus;show diagbus;show diag;show module;show c7200;show vtp status;show
vlan;write term" myrouter.sargasso.net

Running this manually, I see that it hangs on the penultimate line on
'show controllers':

PHY registers:
Register 00 2100
Register 01 780D
Register 02 7810
Register 03 0003
Register 04 01E1
Register 05 0000
Register 06 0001
Register 16 0000
Register 17 0000
Register 18 4000
Register 19 0800

When I run show controllers from the console, I get a final line for
Register 20, followed by two blank lines, followed by the prompt:

Register 20 38C8

myrouter#

Any idea why it is hanging at this point? Removing the 'show
controllers' from the clogin makes it work (though I don't if it's a
good idea to edit rancid itself to remove this).

Running manual 'clogin myrouter' and then executing show controllers
does not hang.

Here are the lines from .cloginrc:

add password myrouter.sargasso.net mypass
add method myrouter.sargasso.net ssh
add user myrouter.sargasso.net david
add userpassword myrouter.sargasso.net mypass
add autoenable myrouter.sargasso.net 1

Like I say, it worked before this IOS upgrade.

Many thanks for any assistance
David
rancid hangs on 'show controllers' [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 02:44:00AM -0500, David C wrote:
> Hello. I have a 1750, just upgraded to 12.3(6). Rancid hangs when
> polling this device. I did a 'ps' to see the clogin line used:

I'm not sure what version of rancid you are running, but could you
try the latest bits? We are just about to release version 2.3, and
there have been a number of fixes; maybe we got this one already.
ftp://ftp.shrubbery.net/pub/rancid/rancid-2.3.rc1.tar.gz

Thanks,
--asp
rancid hangs on 'show controllers' [ In reply to ]
Hi Andrew,

I just tried 2.3rc1 with the same problem (previously I was running 2.2,
I forgot to mention).

I did find (with both versions) that when using clogin, setting
'terminal length 0' and then doing 'show controllers' does cause it to
hang right near the end.

Using ssh directly and doing the same thing does not hang.

'show controllers' output is pretty long, so I guess there's a problem
in clogin somewhere dealing with large output? Should I send the entire
output?

David

rancid hangs on 'show controllers' [ In reply to ]
Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 03:07:43AM -0500, David C:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> I just tried 2.3rc1 with the same problem (previously I was running 2.2,
> I forgot to mention).
>
> I did find (with both versions) that when using clogin, setting
> 'terminal length 0' and then doing 'show controllers' does cause it to
> hang right near the end.

so clogin -c 'show controllers' router using ssh hangs?

> Using ssh directly and doing the same thing does not hang.
>
> 'show controllers' output is pretty long, so I guess there's a problem
> in clogin somewhere dealing with large output? Should I send the entire
> output?

if the above fails, this would be useful:

expect -d clogin -c 'show controllers' router > log 2>&1

that will be rather large, please do not send it to -discuss list.