communities, etc...

anyone ideas on how to get rancid to do this?

steve
using config templates with rancid [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 07:47:58PM -0700, Stephen Miller wrote:
> i want to not only diff current configs from previous configs but also diff
> current configs against standard config templates. to ensure that certain
> config sections stay within network standards...ie. acl's for vty access, snmp
> communities, etc...
>
> anyone ideas on how to get rancid to do this?

Write a post processor.
Run rancid to fetch the current configs and then run a 2nd program
that does diffs vs your standard (generated?) configs.
--asp
using config templates with rancid [ In reply to ]
Andrew Partan writes:

> Run rancid to fetch the current configs and then run a 2nd program
> that does diffs vs your standard (generated?) configs.

Then all you need is a third program to go and beat the people who make
uncommented/undocumented changes with a large stick :-)

Cheers,

Alastair
using config templates with rancid [ In reply to ]
I always keep a current checked out read-only version of the configs
which I then run extra diffs on via a batch script. The checked out
version of the configs is updated each time after do-diffs is run.
You could put an entry in crontab entry that looks something like this:
0 * * * * /usr/local/rancid/bin/do-diffs ; cd /configs ;
/usr/local/bin/cvs -r -d /usr/local/rancid/CVS update >/dev/null 2>&1 ;
/usr/bin/diff -U0 /configs/router1 /configs/router1.template | mailx -s
diffs steve at smiller.org

I don't know much about CVS, but this works for me anyway.

Regards,

Rob