while there was no change to the routers list file.
any idea why this happens?

--Yuval
false "changes in XXX routers" reports [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 01:55:11PM +0200, Yuval Ben-Ari wrote:
> I'm getting flase reports of changes in router.db file, such as:

Rancid remembers which routers were up or down in rancid/$GROUP/routers.up
& .down. If this file is being deleted or can't be written to or
created by the user running rancid, you might get these problems.
--asp
false "changes in XXX routers" reports [ In reply to ]
thanks,

rancid is run as cron job of user "rancid" whom has permissions to write
to the files.
also, the problem happens randomly and I can't find any pattern here.
false "changes in XXX routers" reports [ In reply to ]
Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 04:48:02PM +0200, Yuval Ben-Ari:
> thanks,
>
> rancid is run as cron job of user "rancid" whom has permissions to write
> to the files.
> also, the problem happens randomly and I can't find any pattern here.

iirc, when control_rancid runs, it actually uses temporary files which are
renamed to routers.{up,down}. so, the directory must also be writable.

your safest bet/fix is likely;
# cd ~rancid
# chown -R rancid .
false "changes in XXX routers" reports [ In reply to ]
done
will have to see ......

false "changes in XXX routers" reports [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 01:51:46PM +0200, Yuval Ben-Ari wrote:
> problem returned:

This code doing this is in bin/control_rancid. I think the only
assumption that the code makes is that the user running rancid has
all of the read & write permissions needed for the files & directories
the code touches. It would be real useful to get additional eyes
looking at this to see what else might fail.
--asp