Network Engineer
NOC G?ANT
Tel : +33 6 81 73 29 56
Rancid & Sendmail [ In reply to ]
Christophe,

This shouldn't be a problem at all. It's not necessary to have
sendmail running as a daemon (or configured beyond the default Sun
package) in order to send mail from a machine. Sendmail should still
be installed; however, you can prevent it from daemonizing at startup by
renaming the file /etc/rc2.d/S88sendmail to /etc/rc2.d/.S88sendmail
(files starting with a dot will be ignored at boot).

Basically, to sum up: sendmail _is_ required to be installed in
order to send messages with mail, but it does not need to run at
startup, or have any non-default configuration performed. Good luck..

..Sean.

Rancid & Sendmail [ In reply to ]
On 2002-10-09-08:30:21, BELMONT Christophe <christophe.belmont at c-s.fr> wrote:
> I have a server running Solaris in production. I would like to
> install rancid but I would prefer not to install sendmail on this
> machine (sendmail is huge and not really trivial to administrate)
> since rancid should be able to send an email using normal "mail"
> command. I would like to know if it's possible to do that and how?

No need for Sendmail. So long as your MTA's wrappers and 'mail'
command know how to behave (I'm running rancid on boxen w/ qmail and
postfix), you're fine.

-a
Rancid & Sendmail [ In reply to ]
Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 10:51:12AM -0400, Sean McNamara:
> Christophe,
>
> This shouldn't be a problem at all. It's not necessary to have
> sendmail running as a daemon (or configured beyond the default Sun
> package) in order to send mail from a machine. Sendmail should still
> be installed; however, you can prevent it from daemonizing at startup by
> renaming the file /etc/rc2.d/S88sendmail to /etc/rc2.d/.S88sendmail
> (files starting with a dot will be ignored at boot).

btw, if you do this, you will want to have a cron job that periodically
runs the queue (sendmail -q). so, if a message is temporarily
undeliverable, it will be retried.
Rancid & Sendmail [ In reply to ]
Thank you all,

I have it running now. Btw, thanks to the developers and contributors,
that's a very nice and useful tool.

Christophe.

---
Christophe Belmont