end

Any more help from people on this would be greatly appreciated! I have
Linux kernel 2.4.18, expect 5.32.2, tcl 8.3.3-65, Catalyst 6.3(5)...

thanks for any help!

Rob Klingsten
CAEN Network Systems
University of Michigan College of Engineering
Newbie: Problems with Catalyst [ In reply to ]
Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 02:00:51PM -0500, Robert Klingsten:
> Hello --
>
> I have read through all the list archives, and also the faq. But
> I am still having trouble with a Catalyst switch. Following the
> diags mentioned in the FAQ, the command:
>
> cat5rancid -d ummu-cis6513-mr.ummu.umich.edu
>
> results in:
>
> HIT COMMAND:ummu-cis6513-mr> (enable) show port ifindex
> In ShowPortIfindex: ummu-cis6513-mr> (enable) show port ifindex
> HIT COMMAND:ummu-cis6513-mr> (enable) write term
> In WriteTerm: ummu-cis6513-mr> (enable) write term
> ummu-cis6513-mr.ummu.umich.edu: End of run not found
> ummu-cis6513-mr.ummu.umich.edu: End of run not found
> end

could you try the following

setenv NOPIPE YES
cat5rancid -d ummu-cis6513-mr.ummu.umich.edu

you will have a ummu-cis6513-mr.ummu.umich.edu.raw file. check this to
make sure that the full config was actually collected. also check the
ummu-cis6513-mr.ummu.umich.edu.new file to see how much of the .raw file
was completed.

i'd guess that either the expect process got stuck or something appeared
in the config that confused clogin.

Newbie: Problems with Catalyst [ In reply to ]
I tried what you suggested. the .new file has the complete config, and the
.raw file has the complete config and ends with:

.
.
.
#module 15 : 1-port Multilayer Switch Feature Card
!
#module 16 empty
end
ummu-cis6513-mr> (enable)Connection to ummu-cis6513-mr.ummu.umich.edu closed
by remote host.
Connection to ummu-cis6513-mr.ummu.umich.edu closed.

It looks ok to me... is expect not matching the "Connection to <blah>
closed" message(s)?

Thanks --

Rob

Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 02:00:51PM -0500, Robert Klingsten:
> Hello --
>
> I have read through all the list archives, and also the faq. But I am
> still having trouble with a Catalyst switch. Following the diags
> mentioned in the FAQ, the command:
>
> cat5rancid -d ummu-cis6513-mr.ummu.umich.edu
>
> results in:
>
> HIT COMMAND:ummu-cis6513-mr> (enable) show port ifindex
> In ShowPortIfindex: ummu-cis6513-mr> (enable) show port ifindex
> HIT COMMAND:ummu-cis6513-mr> (enable) write term
> In WriteTerm: ummu-cis6513-mr> (enable) write term
> ummu-cis6513-mr.ummu.umich.edu: End of run not found
> ummu-cis6513-mr.ummu.umich.edu: End of run not found
> end

could you try the following

setenv NOPIPE YES

Newbie: Problems with Catalyst [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 03:32:27PM -0500, Robert Klingsten wrote:
> ummu-cis6513-mr> (enable)Connection to ummu-cis6513-mr.ummu.umich.edu closed
> by remote host.
> Connection to ummu-cis6513-mr.ummu.umich.edu closed.

Looks like it could be another case of a router being too eager to
drop the tcp session and not echoing back the 'quit' rancid sends
it first.

Rancid sends a 'quit' and then the router should echo that back &
then close the tcp session (it should wait for the output to drain
before doing the final tcp close). Some routers have bugs and
don't do this.

I know we had to do a fair amount of expect goo to work around this
for the extreme (in xrancid).
--asp
Newbie: Problems with Catalyst [ In reply to ]
> I tried what you suggested. the .new file has the complete config, and the
> .raw file has the complete config and ends with:
> ummu-cis6513-mr> (enable)Connection to ummu-cis6513-mr.ummu.umich.edu closed
> by remote host.
> Connection to ummu-cis6513-mr.ummu.umich.edu closed.
>
> It looks ok to me... is expect not matching the "Connection to <blah>
> closed" message(s)?

Are you using SSH to talk to the switch? I sent in a patch for this
problem a month or two ago. Take a peek in the mailing list archives.

After thinking about it, and the various other platforms where it
happens, I think a better solution would be to invoke a harmless com-
mand (for CatOS, something like "cd end-of-run:") and pick up on the
"end-of-run" token instead of hoping some combination of Cisco OS,
client SSH, and host TCP/IP stack will bother echoing the "exit" com-
mand back to us before the connection gets torn down.

Of course, on devices that have an "echo"-like command, this is
even more elegant as we don't generate an (ignored) syntax error.

Terry Kennedy http://www.tmk.com
terry at tmk.com New York, NY USA