Mailing List Archive

problems with rancid and catalyst
Ive been using rancid in various forms for over a year now, but I have
never been able to have it successfully acquire the config from a
catalyst 5505 (or a older 2900).

I always get the following error:

=====================================
Getting missed routers: round 4.
!
ptldme-swt01.maine.rr.com clogin error: Error: TIMEOUT reached
missed cmd(s): write term,dir slot0:,dir bootflash:,dir slot1:,show port
ifindex,show boot,show module,show flash,show version
End of run not found
!
ptldme-swt02.maine.rr.com clogin error: Error: TIMEOUT reached
missed cmd(s): write term,dir slot0:,dir bootflash:,dir slot1:,show port
ifindex,show boot,show module,show flash,show version
End of run not found

Im not sure what I may be doing wrong, I will include the portions that
are relevant from the router.db and .cloginrc

ptldme-swt01.maine.rr.com:cat5:up
ptldme-swt02.maine.rr.com:cat5:up

add user ptldme-swt* XXXX
add enableprompt ptldme-swt* Enter password:
add password ptldme-swt* {XXXXXXX} {XXXXXX}

I currently have about 30+ other devices on this (all IOS driven) but
have never been able to get cats to work, Can anyone help me.

Joe Marr
Network Engineer
Roadrunner

"I do not hate my enemies. After all, I made them." - Red Skelton
problems with rancid and catalyst [ In reply to ]
> Ive been using rancid in various forms for over a year now, but I have
> never been able to have it successfully acquire the config from a
> catalyst 5505 (or a older 2900).

My usual diagnositic procedure for this sort of thing is:

- Make sure that the appropriate *login (clogin for cat5s) works.
This tests to make sure you don't have routing or firewall types
of issues, or dns or hostname errors, and that your .cloginrc
settings are correct.

- See if you can send commands to the router - something like
clogin -c "command1;command2"
This makes sure that the this basic function of clogin is working.
Typical problems here are where clogin does not recognize the
router prompt correctly.

- Then see if the correct rancid commands works against the router
- "cat5rancid router" in this case. You should get a router.new
file if it does. Otherwise try "cat5rancid -d router" and see
if you can figure out what is going wrong.

If all of this works, then make sure that you have the correct
router name in router.db and check the log file for errors.

In any case, I suspect the problem is in your .cloginrc. I always
put things like passwords & the like inside of {} to get around
expect goo. [expect is a rather fragile program.]

> add user ptldme-swt* XXXX
> add enableprompt ptldme-swt* Enter password:
> add password ptldme-swt* {XXXXXXX} {XXXXXX}

I'd change these to:
add user ptldme-swt* {XXXX}
add enableprompt ptldme-swt* {Enter password:}
add password ptldme-swt* {XXXXXXX} {XXXXXX}

I'm also not sure if you need to set the enableprompt; I've not
done that on the cat5s I've had.
--asp
problems with rancid and catalyst [ In reply to ]
I tried the clogin test, clogin -c "show ver" ptldme-swt01

It accesses the router and sits the prompt, which would lead me to
believe that it doesn't recognize the prompt.

What's the best way to approach this, what should the prompt be?
Currently its ptldme-swt01:

problems with rancid and catalyst [ In reply to ]
I had a similar problem - try setting your path to ptldme-swt01>

rancid appears to expect a ">" suffix on the prompt.

Dave LaPorte

--
David LaPorte
Network Engineer
Email: david_laporte at harvard.edu
Phone: (617) 496-7462
Mobile: (617) 429-8458

Email: david_laporte at harvard.edu
Phone: (617) 496-7462
Mobile: (617) 429-8458

problems with rancid and catalyst [ In reply to ]
perhaps what we need is a .cloginrc switch which allows the prompt to
be adjusted?

Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 02:56:07PM -0400, Joe Marr: