restore a switch to its proper configuration, as I've just found :)

Thanks,
Ras
VLAN config on Ciscos [ In reply to ]
Jee Kay wrote:

>I have just noticed that all the VLAN config lines are removed from
>the configuration that RANCID stores from a Cisco. Is there any
>particular reason for doing this? It makes it a little difficult to
>restore a switch to its proper configuration, as I've just found :)
>
>Thanks,
>Ras

Are you sure about that? I have a couple Cisco 4006's with extensive
VLAN configuration and all the vlan lines are there in the config, as
well as the output of show vlan, commented out of course.

--
__________________________
Justin Grote
VLAN config on Ciscos [ In reply to ]
Sat, Aug 13, 2005 at 02:07:26PM -0600, Justin Grote:
> Jee Kay wrote:
>
> >I have just noticed that all the VLAN config lines are removed from
> >the configuration that RANCID stores from a Cisco. Is there any
> >particular reason for doing this? It makes it a little difficult to
> >restore a switch to its proper configuration, as I've just found :)
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Ras
> >

> Are you sure about that? I have a couple Cisco 4006's with extensive
> VLAN configuration and all the vlan lines are there in the config, as
> well as the output of show vlan, commented out of course.

Perhaps this switch's IOS is one of those where the vlan configuration
is done separately from conf t, ie: 'vlan database' or whatever it is.
That has never been collected.
VLAN config on Ciscos [ In reply to ]
john heasley wrote:

>Perhaps this switch's IOS is one of those where the vlan configuration
>is done separately from conf t, ie: 'vlan database' or whatever it is.
>That has never been collected.

Good point. Jee, let us know what model and IOS version you are running
(or if you are running CatOS).

--
__________________________
Justin Grote
VLAN config on Ciscos [ In reply to ]
On 8/13/05, Justin Grote <justin at grote.name> wrote:
> john heasley wrote:
> >Perhaps this switch's IOS is one of those where the vlan configuration
> >is done separately from conf t, ie: 'vlan database' or whatever it is.
> >That has never been collected.
> >
> Good point. Jee, let us know what model and IOS version you are running
> (or if you are running CatOS).

It is a 4006, running 12.2(20)EW. If I do 'show run' or 'write term'
on the switch directly, the VLAN configuration is definitely there :)
VLAN config on Ciscos [ In reply to ]
Jee Kay wrote:
> On 8/13/05, Justin Grote <justin at grote.name> wrote:
>
>>john heasley wrote:
>>
>>>Perhaps this switch's IOS is one of those where the vlan configuration
>>>is done separately from conf t, ie: 'vlan database' or whatever it is.
>>>That has never been collected.
>>>

>>Good point. Jee, let us know what model and IOS version you are running
>>(or if you are running CatOS).
>

> It is a 4006, running 12.2(20)EW. If I do 'show run' or 'write term'
> on the switch directly, the VLAN configuration is definitely there :)

Most modern IOS: When the switch is in VTP "transparent" mode, the
VLANS appear in the config. When in Client or Server mode they do not,
wouldn't want your config changing due to an update 5 switches away.
(Remember VTP server mode just means the switch lets you make local
changes, a user interface restriction, on the network side there is no
diff between client and server modes)

Christopher E. Brown <chris.brown at acsalaska.net> desk (907) 550-8393
cell (907) 632-8492
IP Engineer - ACS
VLAN config on Ciscos [ In reply to ]
Sat, Aug 13, 2005 at 09:36:18PM +0100, Jee Kay:
> On 8/13/05, Justin Grote <justin at grote.name> wrote:
> > john heasley wrote:
> > >Perhaps this switch's IOS is one of those where the vlan configuration
> > >is done separately from conf t, ie: 'vlan database' or whatever it is.
> > >That has never been collected.
> > >
> > Good point. Jee, let us know what model and IOS version you are running
> > (or if you are running CatOS).
>
> It is a 4006, running 12.2(20)EW. If I do 'show run' or 'write term'
> on the switch directly, the VLAN configuration is definitely there :)

There is no special handling of vlan output, so it is not being filtered.

If you've checked that the switch is actually being collected successfully,
please send a .raw file to me.
$ export NOPIPE=YES
$ rancid -d switchname
VLAN config on Ciscos [ In reply to ]
Christopher E. Brown wrote:
> Most modern IOS: When the switch is in VTP "transparent" mode, the
> VLANS appear in the config. When in Client or Server mode
> they do not, wouldn't want your config changing due to an update
> 5 switches away. (Remember VTP server mode just means the switch
> lets you make local changes, a user interface restriction, on the
> network side there is no diff between client and server modes)

Correct, but what does it take to see the VTP config in "sh run" ?

I can add it in "conf t" (as well as "vlan d"), but it doesn't show up in "sh run". My IOS is 12.1(20)EA1a on a cisco WS-C2950G-48-EI.

My VTP servers are running CatOS, so I haven't thought that much about not getting the VLAN names etc backed up.

/H