Mailing List Archive

Rancid configuration - switches The following routers have not been successfully contacted for more than 24 hours.
Hi Team,
I have added Cisco switches in Rancid, backup is taking place properly but
every 2 days, I am getting the following routers have not been successfully
contacted message, to resolve this issue I have to run the following command

cd /var/lib/rancid/

rm -rf switches/

/usr/lib/rancid/bin/rancid-cvs

A switches/.cvsignore

A switches/configs

A switches/configs/.cvsignore

A switches/configs/switch2.xxxx.com

A switches/configs/switch7.xxxx.com

A switches/configs/switch8.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.com

A switches/configs/switch9-xxxx.com

A switches/configs/switch5.xxxx.com

A switches/router.db

U switches

Checked out revision 50872.

Updating '.':

At revision 50872.

--
Thanks & regards,
Anwar M. Durrani
Re: Rancid configuration - switches The following routers have not been successfully contacted for more than 24 hours. [ In reply to ]
Check your logs.

Ugo Bellavance (ugob@lubik.ca)
Re: Rancid configuration - switches The following routers have not been successfully contacted for more than 24 hours. [ In reply to ]
I have checked the logs it says
switch01.x.x.x.com: End of run not found

Re: Rancid configuration - switches The following routers have not been successfully contacted for more than 24 hours. [ In reply to ]
Did you try running the clogin script manually?

Re: Rancid configuration - switches The following routers have not been successfully contacted for more than 24 hours. [ In reply to ]
Yes I did, It runs successfully and exits properly. This is happening with
3 switches only, I have 10 switches for other switches there is no
complaint.

Re: Rancid configuration - switches The following routers have not been successfully contacted for more than 24 hours. [ In reply to ]
Did you read the logs on one non-working switch and compare with a working
one?

Re: Rancid configuration - switches The following routers have not been successfully contacted for more than 24 hours. [ In reply to ]
Hi Ugo,
I did not find any significant difference between working and non-working
configurations,
but for some of the switch rancid user locally present on working, and at
the same time rancid user is not present on one of the working switches as
well, I don't think so if this is the case.

When i run rancid -t cisco switch1.xx.xx.com through switch10.xx.xx.com, it
always gives me "switch10.xx.xx.com: End of run not found"
Thanks

Re: Rancid configuration - switches The following routers have not been successfully contacted for more than 24 hours. [ In reply to ]
I am sorry, let me re-phrase, it is not with 1-2 switches but all switches.

Re: Rancid configuration - switches The following routers have not been successfully contacted for more than 24 hours. [ In reply to ]
Hi Ugo,

Earlier My config file /etc/rancid/rancid.type.base looks like

##cisco;script;rancid -t cisco

##cisco;login;clogin

##cisco;module;ios

##cisco;inloop;ios::inloop

#cisco;command;ios::ShowVersion;show version

##cisco;command;ios::WriteTerm;show running-config

##cisco;command;ios::ShowVersion;show version;show running config

## -- end of config

I have added following

cisco;script;rancid -t cisco

cisco;login;clogin

cisco;module;ios

cisco;inloop;ios::inloop

cisco;command;ios::ShowVersion;show version

cisco;command;ios::ShowRedundancy;show redundancy secondary

cisco;command;ios::ShowIDprom;show idprom backplane

cisco;command;ios::ShowInstallActive;show install active

cisco;command;ios::ShowEnv;show env all

cisco;command;ios::ShowRSP;show rsp chassis-info

cisco;command;ios::ShowGSR;show gsr chassis

cisco;command;ios::ShowGSR;show diag chassis-info

cisco;command;ios::ShowBoot;show boot

cisco;command;ios::ShowBoot;show bootvar

cisco;command;ios::ShowBoot;show variables boot

cisco;command;ios::ShowFlash;show flash

cisco;command;ios::DirSlotN;dir /all nvram:

cisco;command;ios::DirSlotN;dir /all bootflash:

cisco;command;ios::DirSlotN;dir /all slot0:

cisco;command;ios::DirSlotN;dir /all disk0:

cisco;command;ios::DirSlotN;dir /all slot1:

cisco;command;ios::DirSlotN;dir /all disk1:

cisco;command;ios::DirSlotN;dir /all slot2:

cisco;command;ios::DirSlotN;dir /all disk2:

cisco;command;ios::DirSlotN;dir /all harddisk:

cisco;command;ios::DirSlotN;dir /all harddiska:

cisco;command;ios::DirSlotN;dir /all harddiskb:

cisco;command;ios::DirSlotN;dir /all sup-bootdisk:;c6500 sup32

cisco;command;ios::DirSlotN;dir /all sup-bootflash:;c6500 ios

cisco;command;ios::DirSlotN;dir /all sup-microcode:;c6500 ios

cisco;command;ios::DirSlotN;dir /all slavenvram:

cisco;command;ios::DirSlotN;dir /all slavebootflash:

cisco;command;ios::DirSlotN;dir /all slaveslot0:

cisco;command;ios::DirSlotN;dir /all slavedisk0:

cisco;command;ios::DirSlotN;dir /all slaveslot1:

cisco;command;ios::DirSlotN;dir /all slavedisk1:

cisco;command;ios::DirSlotN;dir /all slaveslot2:

cisco;command;ios::DirSlotN;dir /all slavedisk2:

cisco;command;ios::DirSlotN;dir /all slavesup-bootflash:;c7600

cisco;command;ios::DirSlotN;dir /all sec-nvram:

cisco;command;ios::DirSlotN;dir /all sec-bootflash:

cisco;command;ios::DirSlotN;dir /all sec-slot0:

cisco;command;ios::DirSlotN;dir /all sec-disk0:

cisco;command;ios::DirSlotN;dir /all sec-slot1:

cisco;command;ios::DirSlotN;dir /all sec-disk1:

cisco;command;ios::DirSlotN;dir /all sec-slot2:

cisco;command;ios::DirSlotN;dir /all sec-disk2:

cisco;command;ios::ShowContAll;show controllers

cisco;command;ios::ShowContCbus;show controllers cbus

cisco;command;ios::ShowDiagbus;show diagbus

cisco;command;ios::ShowDiag;show diag

cisco;command;ios::ShowCapture;show capture;ASA/PIX

cisco;command;ios::ShowModule;show module;c6500 ios

cisco;command;ios::ShowSpeVersion;show spe version

cisco;command;ios::ShowC7200;show c7200

cisco;command;ios::ShowInventory;show inventory raw

cisco;command;ios::ShowVTP;show vtp status

cisco;command;ios::ShowVLAN;show vlan

cisco;command;ios::ShowVLAN;show vlan-switch

cisco;command;ios::ShowDetail;show switch detail

cisco;command;ios::ShowSDM;show sdm prefer

cisco;command;ios::ShowMTU;show system mtu

cisco;command;ios::ShowDebug;show debug

cisco;command;ios::ShowShun;show shun;ASA/PIX

cisco;command;ios::WriteTerm;more system:running-config;ASA/PIX

#cisco;command;ios::WriteTerm;show running-config view full;workaround for
role-based CLI

cisco;command;ios::WriteTerm;show running-config

cisco;command;ios::WriteTerm;write term

I haven't received any error as of now, generally error triggered in a
couple of days.

Re: Rancid configuration - switches The following routers have not been successfully contacted for more than 24 hours. [ In reply to ]
Thu, Aug 31, 2023 at 02:52:43PM +0530, Anwar Durrani:
> Hi Ugo,
>
> Earlier My config file /etc/rancid/rancid.type.base looks like

If you wish to alter a rancid device type, you should create your own name
that does not conflict with one in rancid.types.base, and place it in
rancid.types.conf. rancid.types.base will be overwritten during the next
upgrade.

That is very odd. Needing to remove the group directory to restore
collections implies that something is conflicting with the rancid
processes. Without seeing the contents of your log file, possibly
two rancid-run processes running at the same time because the lock
file has been removed or some other process is altering the group
directory.

you should share the entire contents of the group's log file.

Re: Rancid configuration - switches The following routers have not been successfully contacted for more than 24 hours. [ In reply to ]
Hi Heasley,

Thanks for your email, The configuration of my switches in rancid has begun
functioning as intended. The recent changes I implemented as per the
earlier email, have proven to be effective in resolving the issue.