{prefic}/man, etc. amongst all he other packages stuff? Opinions on
whuch is a better way? Thank you.

Mark
RANCID & package managers [ In reply to ]
Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 05:50:42PM -0700, Netmanager:
> So I want to make a RANCID package for a popular ports package
> manager for OS X (DarwinPorts). I like all my open source apps to
> live in a special place. Would it be better to install all of RANCID
> into the package's {prefix}/var/rancid or to just put the
> localstatedir (logs, repository, groups) there and let bin, etc, man,
> share go into the package manager's {prefix}/bin, {prefix}/etc,
> {prefic}/man, etc. amongst all he other packages stuff? Opinions on
> whuch is a better way? Thank you.

I am blissfully unaware of DarwinPorts, but I'll suggest that you look
at how freebsd's rancid port does it or look at an existing simple
DarwinPort; maybe bind or net-snmp.
RANCID & package managers [ In reply to ]
Netmanager wrote:

> So I want to make a RANCID package for a popular ports package manager
> for OS X (DarwinPorts). I like all my open source apps to live in a
> special place. Would it be better to install all of RANCID into the
> package's {prefix}/var/rancid or to just put the localstatedir (logs,
> repository, groups) there and let bin, etc, man, share go into the
> package manager's {prefix}/bin, {prefix}/etc, {prefic}/man, etc.
> amongst all he other packages stuff? Opinions on whuch is a better
> way? Thank you.
>
> Mark

This is more taste than anything else.

If you're following the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard, then everything
should go into /usr/local, since this isn't software that's included
with the distribution.

I personally build my RANCID RPMs (a Linux package manager) to conform
to the standards of whatever distribution to put the binaries into
/usr/bin, the config into /etc/, the docs into {docdir}/rancid, and I
generally set up my repositories under /srv/rancid (new FHS), although
/var/lib/rancid is a more traditional location (old FHS).

There's no "right" way to do this, everyone has their own opinion. The
distribution specific method I use is fine, you really only need to do
/usr/local if you're doing clustering or some other method that mounts
/usr, /bin, and /sbin from network drives.

--
__________________________
Justin Grote
RANCID & package managers [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 07:59:19PM -0600, Justin Grote wrote:
> Netmanager wrote:
> >So I want to make a RANCID package for a popular ports package manager
> >for OS X (DarwinPorts). I like all my open source apps to live in a
> >special place. Would it be better to install all of RANCID into the
> >package's {prefix}/var/rancid or to just put the localstatedir (logs,
> >repository, groups) there and let bin, etc, man, share go into the
> >package manager's {prefix}/bin, {prefix}/etc, {prefic}/man, etc.
> >amongst all he other packages stuff?

I prefer to stuff things in /usr/local, but I just had to move RANCID
into /usr/local/rancid because we already had a program here named "par"
(filter for reformatting paragraphs).
RANCID & package managers [ In reply to ]
>Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 05:50:42PM -0700, Netmanager:
>> So I want to make a RANCID package for a popular ports package
>> manager for OS X (DarwinPorts). I like all my open source apps to
>> live in a special place. Would it be better to install all of RANCID
>> into the package's {prefix}/var/rancid or to just put the
>> localstatedir (logs, repository, groups) there and let bin, etc, man,
>> share go into the package manager's {prefix}/bin, {prefix}/etc,
>> {prefic}/man, etc. amongst all he other packages stuff? Opinions on
>> whuch is a better way? Thank you.
>
>I am blissfully unaware of DarwinPorts, but I'll suggest that you look
>at how freebsd's rancid port does it or look at an existing simple
>DarwinPort; maybe bind or net-snmp.

I looked at the Makefile for the FreeBSD RANCID port and this is the
way the package maintainer did it:

CONFIGURE_ARGS= \
--prefix=${PREFIX}/ \
--localstatedir=${PREFIX}/var/${PORTNAME}/ \
--bindir=${PREFIX}/libexec/${PORTNAME}/ \
--sysconfdir=${PREFIX}/etc/${PORTNAME}/

That is an interesting way to do it. I guess it sticks to the
standard of port file locations, yet still keeps the port's files
separate. I guess I'll think about it. If anybody has a comment on
this method please do so. Thanks for the help.

Mark