Mailing List Archive

Testbed for Quagga
On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, Paul Jakma wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Aug 2003, John Fraizer wrote:
>
> > Well, I can test on MIPS, X86 and possibly SPARC. A client of mine
> > is very interested in building up a nifty testbed and this looks
> > like a good reason to do it. My testbed has been dismantled over
> > the past few years to serve other purposes.
>
> actually, that's something which would be /extremely/ useful - a
> testbed, varying OSes and also with non-zebra routers included.
>
> regards,

That we can do. I can test on multiple OS's on multiple
platforms. Additionally, I can test interoperability with Fore
Systems/Marconi equipment. I don't have any Vendor C gear in the network
though so, unless someone has a spare baby C router that we can test with
in our testbed.

--
---
John Fraizer | High-Security Datacenter Services |
Re: Testbed for Quagga [ In reply to ]
> > > Well, I can test on MIPS, X86 and possibly SPARC. A client of mine
> > > is very interested in building up a nifty testbed and this looks
> > > like a good reason to do it. My testbed has been dismantled over
> > > the past few years to serve other purposes.
> >
> > actually, that's something which would be /extremely/ useful - a
> > testbed, varying OSes and also with non-zebra routers included.
> >
> > regards,
>
> That we can do. I can test on multiple OS's on multiple
> platforms. Additionally, I can test interoperability with Fore
> Systems/Marconi equipment. I don't have any Vendor C gear in the network
> though so, unless someone has a spare baby C router that we can test with
> in our testbed.

I might be able to find an old C box somewhere in our basement (2600 and/or
3500).
Don't expect too much of it, I don't know if it will survive a full routing
table.
Or, if I'm in a very evil mood, I can put it on our AMS-IX or NL-ix router,
we'll find plenty of C and J boxes there ;-)

Teun Vink
Luna.nl NOC
Re: Testbed for Quagga [ In reply to ]
I have a 7206 that's been laying around for months if it's really needed,
I'll have to take it out of the box :)

Re: Testbed for Quagga [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, Teun Vink wrote:

> > That we can do. I can test on multiple OS's on multiple
> > platforms. Additionally, I can test interoperability with Fore
> > Systems/Marconi equipment. I don't have any Vendor C gear in the network
> > though so, unless someone has a spare baby C router that we can test with
> > in our testbed.
> >

> I might be able to find an old C box somewhere in our basement (2600 and/or
> 3500).
> Don't expect too much of it, I don't know if it will survive a full routing
> table.
> Or, if I'm in a very evil mood, I can put it on our AMS-IX or NL-ix router,
> we'll find plenty of C and J boxes there ;-)

I'm not worrying about throwing a full-boat to the C box. I'm more
interested in testing interoperability with Quagga BGP, OSPF, RIP
daemons. We don't need an entire global view to do that.

Anything with a recent IOS on it and one or more ethernet ports will work
just fine. The smaller, the better acually so, a 2600 or 3500 is great.

Re: Testbed for Quagga [ In reply to ]
I currently have a testlab setup with several Cisco 2600 series routers,
several RH Linux CIPE servers (all running Zebra 0.92), testing BGP and
OSPF. I will be able to test Quagga on RH AS & non-AS systems. I'm no
developer, but I can build software from CVS, report bugs, and build
RPMs. ;) Let me know.

John Fraizer wrote:

> I'm not worrying about throwing a full-boat to the C box. I'm more
> interested in testing interoperability with Quagga BGP, OSPF, RIP
> daemons. We don't need an entire global view to do that.
>
> Anything with a recent IOS on it and one or more ethernet ports will work
> just fine. The smaller, the better acually so, a 2600 or 3500 is great.

--
Kyle Gonzales - x44396
Network Engineer
Re: Testbed for Quagga [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, Kyle Gonzales wrote:

> I currently have a testlab setup with several Cisco 2600 series
> routers, several RH Linux CIPE servers (all running Zebra 0.92),
> testing BGP and OSPF. I will be able to test Quagga on RH AS &
> non-AS systems. I'm no developer, but I can build software from
> CVS, report bugs, and build RPMs. ;) Let me know.

Test away! You could provide an excellent service by testing. Eg I'd
be very interested in having OSPF NSSA ABR translation tested,
especially for the case where there are 2 ABRs eligible for
translation, and most especially for the cases where the ABR elected
to do translation fails and later comes back up.

regards,
--
Paul Jakma paul@clubi.ie paul@jakma.org Key ID: 64A2FF6A
warning: do not ever send email to spam@dishone.st
Re: Testbed for Quagga [ In reply to ]
> I'm not worrying about throwing a full-boat to the C box. I'm more
> interested in testing interoperability with Quagga BGP, OSPF, RIP
> daemons. We don't need an entire global view to do that.
>
> Anything with a recent IOS on it and one or more ethernet ports will work
> just fine. The smaller, the better acually so, a 2600 or 3500 is great.

Agreed. I'll see what I can do. I don't think I've got a recent IOS
available though, but we'll see.
I'll try to set up a testbed with those 2 cisco's and a Debian woody box.

Teun
Re: Testbed for Quagga [ In reply to ]
Teun,

It doesen't matter if you have current IOS on your Cisco. Just
contact me offline and I'll get you almost current IOS for it.

You see, very recently Cisco released the following global IOS bug
notification:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/707/cisco-sa-20030717-blocked.shtml

All owners of Cisco equipment that runs IOS are entitled to
update to the repaired IOS for that release, for free, regardless of
contract status.

So if for example your router has 12.0.5 IOS on it, you can
update to 12.0.26 without charge. (you cannot of course go to any
newer release without contract)

Obviously you can call Cisco and get it directly from them, but
Cisco is encouraging people to contact their local Cisco resellers
to get this, obviously to help reduce the burden on TAC, it also
gives the resellers an opportunity to sell upgrades. (since on some
models you need to add ram or flash to run current IOS due to
increased ram requirements) I work closely with a Cisco reseller.
Whomever you go through, you just need to supply a show-hard output and
the router serial number.

Ted