Mailing List Archive

Re: [Quagga-users 27] Re: so...
On Sun, 3 Aug 2003, John Fraizer wrote:

> Well, I can test on MIPS, X86 and possibly SPARC. A client of mine
> is very interested in building up a nifty testbed and this looks
> like a good reason to do it. My testbed has been dismantled over
> the past few years to serve other purposes.

actually, that's something which would be /extremely/ useful - a
testbed, varying OSes and also with non-zebra routers included.

regards,
--
Paul Jakma paul@clubi.ie paul@jakma.org Key ID: 64A2FF6A
warning: do not ever send email to spam@dishone.st
Re: [Quagga-users 27] Re: so... [ In reply to ]
I just joined the ML, so apologies in advance if this isn't useful.

> actually, that's something which would be /extremely/ useful - a
> testbed, varying OSes and also with non-zebra routers included.

I've always thought this would be extremely beneficial for zebra. I have 3
2500s, a 2600, and a 4000 that could potentially be used for this purpose,
as well as some machines of various OSs.

Ideally, a lab environment with OOB console access to all this stuff would
be great; the aforementioned testbed is in such an environment, though
currently external access would be a little tricky.

I think that if there was a 1 page summary of this on the table, it would
identify the needs and get things setup.

-Kevin

Kevin C. Miller <kcm@cmu.edu>
Network Development
Carnegie Mellon University
Re: [Quagga-users 27] Re: so... [ In reply to ]
due to subject tagging the subject starts to get cluttered. Could the list
maintainer pls take care?

Arnold
Re: [Quagga-users 27] Re: so... [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, Nipper, Arnold wrote:

> due to subject tagging the subject starts to get cluttered. Could the list
> maintainer pls take care?

any suggestions?

[users %d]
[quagga %d]

?

> Arnold

regards,
--
Paul Jakma paul@clubi.ie paul@jakma.org Key ID: 64A2FF6A
warning: do not ever send email to spam@dishone.st
Fortune:
Our swords shall play the orators for us.
-- Christopher Marlowe
Re: [Quagga-users 27] Re: so... [ In reply to ]
I guess it was only due to going to all lower case that we see subjects like
"[quagga-users 50] Re: [Quagga-users 27] Re: so..." I personally don't like
subject taggings but may find indexing useful. If tagging I would go or "[qu
%d]" or users and "[qd %d]" or dev.

Arnold

Re: [Quagga-users 27] Re: so... [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, Nipper, Arnold wrote:

> I guess it was only due to going to all lower case that we see subjects like
> "[quagga-users 50] Re: [Quagga-users 27] Re: so..." I personally don't like
> subject taggings but may find indexing useful. If tagging I would go or "[qu
> %d]" or users and "[qd %d]" or dev.

ah, yes. the case change will be annoying for a small while. sorry.

can we wait and see whether long subject lines remain a problem? if
so, i'd be open to removing -users. -dev is 2 chars shorter :)

> Arnold

regards,
--
Paul Jakma paul@clubi.ie paul@jakma.org Key ID: 64A2FF6A
warning: do not ever send email to spam@dishone.st
Fortune:
-- Pablo Picasso
Re: [Quagga-users 27] Re: so... [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, Nipper, Arnold wrote:

> I guess it was only due to going to all lower case that we see subjects like
> "[quagga-users 50] Re: [Quagga-users 27] Re: so..." I personally don't like
> subject taggings but may find indexing useful. If tagging I would go or "[qu
> %d]" or users and "[qd %d]" or dev.
>
> Arnold

I think it was the capitolization that set it off. Also, I think the name
"Quagga" needs to be in it. It will cause better indexing by the robots.

--
John Fraizer | High-Security Datacenter Services |
President | Dedicated circuits 64k - 155M OC3 |
Re: [Quagga-users 27] Re: so... [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 06:27:22PM +0100, Paul Jakma wrote:
> > due to subject tagging the subject starts to get cluttered. Could the list
> > maintainer pls take care?
>
> any suggestions?

Don't touch the subject line. This is mailman and people have a nice
X-List-Id header that they can use to do what they want. I guess the
people here know how to change their .procmailrc or MUA settings.

bye,

-christian-

--
Christian Hammers WESTEND GmbH | Internet-Business-Provider
Technik CISCO Systems Partner - Authorized Reseller
Re: [Quagga-users 27] Re: so... [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, Kevin C Miller wrote:

> I've always thought this would be extremely beneficial for zebra.

err.. you mean quagga :)

It'd be /immensely/ beneficial. Eg, the recent NSSA ABR translation
work i did was because i had access to a Cisco to verify behaviour
(and obviously because i needed translation :) )

> I have 3 2500s, a 2600, and a 4000 that could potentially be used
> for this purpose, as well as some machines of various OSs.
>
> Ideally, a lab environment with OOB console access to all this
> stuff would be great;

yep.

> the aforementioned testbed is in such an environment, though
> currently external access would be a little tricky.
>
> I think that if there was a 1 page summary of this on the table, it would
> identify the needs and get things setup.

In an ideal world:

- Several Unix, BSD, Linux hosts.
(RH9, Debian woody (?), FreeBSD 5, FreeBSD 4.2, OpenBSD (?)).
Possibly SunOS too.

- equipped each with at least one ethernet port, one serial
console

- if possible equipped with at least one serial port for testing
lower speed / PtP links + required null serial cables.

- if possible sync serial cards for testing interoperability

- As many other implementations of routing protocols as we can find
ideally IOS 11.x, 12.x and IPv6 train IOS. JunOS would be nice too :)

- One managed ethernet switch or hub capable of configurable
segmentation of its ports (eg VLAN)

- One remotely accessible management host (eg with a multiport serial
board to manage the serial consoles). Preferably with a suitable
environment for doing development.

- An on-site contact person with whom to arrange reconfiguration if
needs be, kicking of boxes if needs be.

- Someone to coordinate access (possibly previous person)

- BGP feed somehow (from an on-site route server?). Easiest way to
get a BGP feed which is known to be representative of real-world
conditions is to get a real feed.

Purpose:

Facilitate development of portable fixes/enhancements to Quagga, by
way of having easy access to the main platform types supported by
Quagga.

Facilitate development of fixes/enhancements to protocols supported
by quagga and, who knows, development of protocols not yet supported
by Quagga by way of providing a homogenous environment for
interoperability testing, at both the early development stage and
more traditional interoperability verification stage.

Would be very nice to have anything resembling the above, obviously.

> -Kevin

regards,
--
Paul Jakma paul@clubi.ie paul@jakma.org Key ID: 64A2FF6A
warning: do not ever send email to spam@dishone.st
Fortune:
Make it myself? But I'm a physical organic chemist!
Re: [Quagga-users 27] Re: so... [ In reply to ]
any suggestions?

[users %d]
[quagga %d]

I suggest not having any tagging - it is just noise.
There is a List-Id: field, so people can sort these into a separate
folder, e.g. to read with Gnus. I suppose I should learn how to set
up 'washing' to clean the crud out of the subject field before I see
it...

--
Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
Re: [Quagga-users 27] Re: so... [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 07:47:08AM -0400,
Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com> wrote
a message of 13 lines which said:

> I suggest not having any tagging - it is just noise

<aol>I strongly support.</aol>
Re: [Quagga-users 27] Re: so... [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2003-08-05 at 04:59, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 07:47:08AM -0400,
> Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com> wrote
> a message of 13 lines which said:
>
> > I suggest not having any tagging - it is just noise
>
> <aol>I strongly support.</aol>

FWIW, I support that too. :)
Most modern mailers *can* recognize if the message belongs to a mailing
list and filter it accordingly.

Amit Kucheria akucheria@<NOSPAM>metricsystems.com
Metric Systems Corp. 2320 Cousteau Court, Suite 201, Vista, CA 92083
Re: [Quagga-users 27] Re: so... [ In reply to ]
I agree that testing is a great idea (in my former job I was a test engineer
for Lauerl Networks) but just random testing on contrived topologies
my provide a false sense of stability.

<taking a big hit on the crack pipe>

I'm not saying I have the answer, but stick with me for a second:
-the hardest part of testing is knowing what to test and how to test it
-the people who know what/how to test are typically not the ones who
have the equiptment or time to do testing

Given the above, automated testing on specific topologies written by
those who know what/how to test might allow those who have time/equiptment
to provide reliable information about the state of the code.

This means we would have to implement an automated test infrastructure,
design the topologoies, and then write the tests. Granted this is enough
work for an open source project in an of itself, but in a perfect world
this is how open source regression testing could work.

</exhale>

I'll start the long walk back to reality now ....
--
James R. Leu

Re: [Quagga-users 27] Re: so... [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, James R. Leu wrote:

> I agree that testing is a great idea (in my former job I was a test
> engineer for Lauerl Networks) but just random testing on contrived
> topologies my provide a false sense of stability.

absolutely.

But contrived topologies are useful for development.

> <taking a big hit on the crack pipe>
>
> I'm not saying I have the answer, but stick with me for a second:
> -the hardest part of testing is knowing what to test and how to
> test it -the people who know what/how to test are typically not the
> ones who have the equiptment or time to do testing

yes.

> Given the above, automated testing on specific topologies written
> by those who know what/how to test might allow those who have
> time/equiptment to provide reliable information about the state of
> the code.

would be very useful. :)

> This means we would have to implement an automated test
> infrastructure, design the topologoies, and then write the tests.
> Granted this is enough work for an open source project in an of
> itself, but in a perfect world this is how open source regression
> testing could work.

yes.

Note that even just automated build testing would be useful. eg, for
those people who have indicated they have hosts and can do testing,
it would be immensely useful for them to do regular testing, eg "does
it build", "does it work" (even if on some simple topology) - also
what would be very useful is if people would test patches posted to
the list.

> </exhale>
>
> I'll start the long walk back to reality now ....

:)

regards,
--
Paul Jakma paul@clubi.ie paul@jakma.org Key ID: 64A2FF6A
warning: do not ever send email to spam@dishone.st
Fortune:
1.79 x 10^12 furlongs per fortnight -- it's not just a good idea, it's
the law!