Mailing List Archive

What quagga process send BGP update to other routers?
Hello all. I started studing Quagga to route BGP routers and I have no idea
about what Quagga process is responsible to send and receive BGP updates
from another router.

Could you please help me?

Thank you.

Emerson Barea
Re: What quagga process send BGP update to other routers? [ In reply to ]
The quagga suite is a group of processes that run together.  The 'bgpd'
one talks BGP to other routers.  The 'ospfd' talks OSPF to neighbors.
The zebra client deals with static routes and other IPs you may assign
to interfaces.

I'm not sure if bgpd updates the kernels routing table directly, of if
the information is passed to the zebra process and then that one updates
the kernel's routes.

Best,

Rudy

Re: What quagga process send BGP update to other routers? [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 at 09:56, Rudy <crapsh@monkeybrains.net> wrote:

> The quagga suite is a group of processes that run together. The 'bgpd'
> one talks BGP to other routers. The 'ospfd' talks OSPF to neighbors. The
> zebra client deals with static routes and other IPs you may assign to
> interfaces.
>
> I'm not sure if bgpd updates the kernels routing table directly, of if the
> information is passed to the zebra process and then that one updates the
> kernel's routes.

The bgp daemon sends the route information to zebra daemon. The zebra
daemon programs the route in the kernel using netlink sockets

Thanks
Balaji

Best,

Re: What quagga process send BGP update to other routers? [ In reply to ]
Great. Thank you.

Emerson.