Mailing List Archive

Quagga query
Hi Users,

I am a new user in quagga software installation. I have install quagga in my
Ubuntu VM and able to get the telnet of each protocol like BGP, OSPF etc. My
query is that, If I have to make a BGP peering with other ISP end router so
how will be the physical connectivity between quagga server and other end
ISP router?. How I will verify the quagga server's interface connected to
other ISP router? Please provide support.

Help will be appreciate!!

Topology is below;

Thanks

Pardeep

System Engineer
Re: Quagga query [ In reply to ]
Hi Pardeep,

> On 27 Nov 2017, at 05:07, Pardeep <pardeep@vayugroup.net> wrote:
>
> I am a new user in quagga software installation. I have install quagga in my Ubuntu VM and able to get the telnet of each protocol like BGP, OSPF etc. My query is that, If I have to make a BGP peering with other ISP end router so how will be the physical connectivity between quagga server and other end ISP router?. How I will verify the quagga server’s interface connected to other ISP router? Please provide support.
>
> Help will be appreciate!!
>
> Topology is below;

One suggestion is to make sure that your Ubuntu VM uses bridged networking (and not NAT) so that it picks up its own IP address and not that of the VM server.

Michael

Re: Quagga query [ In reply to ]
Hi Michael,

Thanks for your prompt response.

As I am doing it first time, so I am not much aware its IOS interface. Can you please help me to how to check if Ubuntu VM is using bridge networking or NAT networking and If its uses NAT networking then how to shift to bridge networking ?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks

Re: Quagga query [ In reply to ]
Hi Pardeep,

> On 27 Nov 2017, at 09:52, Pardeep <pardeep@vayugroup.net> wrote:
>
> Thanks for your prompt response.
>
> As I am doing it first time, so I am not much aware its IOS interface. Can you please help me to how to check if Ubuntu VM is using bridge networking or NAT networking and If its uses NAT networking then how to shift to bridge networking ?

If you are using VirtualBox on the VM server, you can configure the guest with "Bridged Adapter" to make it bridge to the NIC. You might also be able to use "Host-only Adapter" if you have an extra NIC in the VM server. If you're using another virtualization platform, sorry, I'm not familiar with it.

Michael

Re: Quagga query [ In reply to ]
Hi Michael,

Thanks for your help.

If I don't do bridge from virtual box and do it from Ubuntu CLI prompt i.e
install bridge-utils, then edit in /etc/sysconfig/network scripts and set
ip address and restart brtcl services, will it work or both are different
things.

Please let me know after done with bridge networking, how I will verify that
its working fine.

Thanks a lot!!!

Thanks
Pardeep

Re: Quagga query [ In reply to ]
Pardeep,

Quagga, while IOS-like, does not actually manage the interface configuration. You should configure the network interface in Ubuntu, and make sure you can ping the ISP router, before configuring Quagga.

And when you configure Quagga, you just need to tell it which interface to use. Quagga will detect what IP you configured at the VM OS level (Ubuntu).

And if you are bridging the VM with the host OS, you need to configure the IP inside the VM. Some virtual network configurations, require the IP to be configured in the host hypervisor. I don’t think Virtualbox supports that kind of networking, so it would be best to stick with bridging.

Tom