% Can not configure the local system as neighbor

On the other hand, if I run quagga on a separate machine, it works. This tells the ODL settigns are okay. But it is just a trick that I need to add a neighbor in quagga. Or maybe there is something else that can be done to avoid all this.

Hope someone has an answer to this simple query.

Bundle of regards

Ameen Chilwan

Graduate Engineer

UNINETT AS

Cell: +47 46 355 118
Re: Quagga with ODL on same machine [ In reply to ]
Hello Ameen,

> % Can not configure the local system as neighbor

The IP address you define is self to the host machine.
ODL BGPCEP speaks BGP on TCP port 179. It is the same for Quagga. This
makes confusion.

> On the other hand, if I run quagga on a separate machine, it works. This tells the ODL settigns are okay. But it is just a trick that I need to add a neighbor in quagga. Or maybe there is something else that can be done to avoid all this.

A solution ( to be tried) would consist in using separate namespaces
for ODL and Quagga.

> Hope someone has an answer to this simple query.

For information, in addition to self-implementing BGPCEP, ODL also use
Quagga for VPNService for creating VPNv4 tunnels.
That means that ODL and Quagga do not exchange in BGP language. They
exchange via a thrift interface.

Here is the official link: https://wiki.opendaylight.org/view/VPNService:Main

Some patches are in progress so that BGP can support a generic
capnproto API. This API will be configured by a proxy that handles
both incoming thrift queries, and outgoing capnproto queries.
More information on the capnproto API:
https://lists.quagga.net/pipermail/quagga-dev/2016-December/016510.html

You only want to use Quagga for BGPCEP ?

Best Regards,

Philippe

Re: Quagga with ODL on same machine [ In reply to ]
Hei Philippe.

Thanks for your input. I will try differentiating the namespace for the two and see how things come out.

But for now, I have used Quagga in a docker container and managed to get things working.

Answer to your query is yes, I just need to get Quagga running with BGPCEP because I am actually running a backbone network among datacenters which have their own internal networks. They use BGP for exterior routing. The backbone runs on OpenFlow with ODL. So, I need to find a way to connect all data centers via BGP also. But I am thinking more of a star topology where the "master" BGPRIB lies at the same place as ODL (actually same machine as well) and disseminate the information to all the other agents.

--AMeen