Mailing List Archive

Throttling OSPF
Hi,

I have a network heavily relying on ECMP, thus having several routes for
each destination being calculated by ospfd. At the moment it's about 23k
routes in there, and unfortunately there's no way redesigning the
network in a short term, so I have to live with that amount of routes.

I have 13 neighbours in total, of whose I configured a dedicated DR and
BDR for stability reasons (these two machines do nothing else than
running quagga).

As long as there's no change in this number, the network hums along
nicely. As soon as I fire *up* a new instance of ospfd (on a server that
just rebooted, or on a new machine), the network runs havoc for a few
minutes. Shutting down a machine (withdrawing adjacencies shortly after)
doesn't harm the net at all.

Machines have more than enough resources, I verified that. Furthermore,
I verified the scenario running BIRD on a few machines, it stays that
way. So, this isn't a quagga issue but rather a problem with OSPF I hit
– any help greatly appreciated.

Best,

Bernd