Mailing List Archive

Re: [zebra 20165] Call for task items
Hi All,

I'm answering this on the old Zebra mailing list also even though I'm
sure that by now, everyone who has checked in has also subscribed to the new
Quagga mailing list per Paul's announcement. But in case you haven't,
the points that Peter is raising are important enough to address on
both forums. Response is inline.

This is all correct but gated had equally widespread usage. In fact there
are STILL sites using the public gated code, who haven't even made the
transition to Zebra yet.

Nothing about this fork is going to be easy. If you recall the userbase
wasn't really for it and to be honest we were driven to it by Kunihiro.

But, I think that most people will be AMAZED at how quickly people drop
Zebra and switch over to Quagga, because the fundamental thing - lack
of support - is still missing with the regular Zebra.org CVS code,
because Kunihiro isn't allowing anyone else but him into the CVS
for update access.

I don't mean just mailing list support. I mean the entering of required and
necessary patches into the CVS AS WELL AS mailing list support.

>By not retaining the zebra name zebra-pj is creating a new project which
>has no presence in the open-source community. Simply forking a branch
>and providing a maintenance role is ominous enough when retaining the
>zebra name. Forking with a new name requires gaining the support of the
>open source community, companies and corporations, the IETF, and routing
>software and hardware developers and vendors. It will take many years to
>displace the zebra name, even if zebra dies (just follow the 8-year old
>Merit-Group contribution links, they eventually lead to www.gated.org
>which leads to www.nexthop.com).

Correct, and that is an advantage that nexthop is going to have for
the forseeable future over IP Infusion.

If I was working for IP Infusion Sales Department I would have a
regular program of gated references on the web, and when I found
a reference that was obviously referring to the now-defunct gated
public code, I would be e-mailing the webpage webmaster and asking
him to update his links to point to zebra.org

But that is IP Infusion's problem, frankly. It isn't ours because
the people looking for freeware BGP routing code, once they get to
NextHop and find they have to pay for things, they are going to get
right back on the web and keep looking.

>Now, zebra-pj has taken the very first steps to undertake the burden and
>responsibility as the global caretakers of open source routing under a
>new project. There are many tasks that were performed when the zebra
>project was started which likewise must be preformed for its new name
>sake.

This is great, but frankly, the proper place for this post is
on the Quagga mailing list. Please refrain from posting followups
to this topic to the zebra.org mailing list.

Ted