Quagga seems not to work with kernel 2.6:
zebra privs_init: initial cap_set_proc failed

Should I just comment out the using of libpcap with a "--without-pcap"
configure switch as Debian user suggests in
http://bugs.debian.org/252423
or do you have a nicer solution?

bye,

-christian-
Re: pcap problem with kernel 2.6? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, Christian Hammers wrote:

> Hello
>
> Quagga seems not to work with kernel 2.6:
> zebra privs_init: initial cap_set_proc failed

EWORKSFORME.

> Should I just comment out the using of libpcap with a "--without-pcap"
> configure switch as Debian user suggests in
> http://bugs.debian.org/252423
> or do you have a nicer solution?

There is also already a --disable-privs switch. However, figuring out
what the problem with Quagga and libpcap on Debian might be more
productive. It should work (least it does for me with 2.6 and FC2).

> bye,

regards,
--
Paul Jakma paul@clubi.ie paul@jakma.org Key ID: 64A2FF6A
warning: do not ever send email to spam@dishone.st
Re: pcap problem with kernel 2.6? [ In reply to ]
Hello

On 2004-06-08 Catalin BOIE wrote:
> > Quagga seems not to work with kernel 2.6:
> > zebra privs_init: initial cap_set_proc failed
>
> Are you sure you compiled capabilities in kernel or as a module?
> Try "modprobe capability" and "modprobe commoncap".

Ehh.. that's unfair, why do they make modules that don't load automatically, I
feel stupid now :-)

Works now.

thanks,

-christian-
Re: pcap problem with kernel 2.6? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, Paul Jakma wrote:

> There is also already a --disable-privs switch.

--disable-capabilities even, in which i guess it falls back to
ruid/euid switching (hasso?)

regards,
--
Paul Jakma paul@clubi.ie paul@jakma.org Key ID: 64A2FF6A
warning: do not ever send email to spam@dishone.st
Fortune:
You may call me by my name, Wirth, or by my value, Worth.
- Nicklaus Wirth
Re: pcap problem with kernel 2.6? [ In reply to ]
Christian Hammers wrote:
> Hello
>
> Quagga seems not to work with kernel 2.6:
> zebra privs_init: initial cap_set_proc failed
>
> Should I just comment out the using of libpcap with a
> "--without-pcap" configure switch as Debian user suggests in
> http://bugs.debian.org/252423
> or do you have a nicer solution?

Quagga has already --disable-capabilities switch for that. Note that
there is still problem - switching ip(v6) forwarding on/off doesn't
work when using capabilities.

--
Hasso Tepper
Elion Enterprises Ltd.
Re: pcap problem with kernel 2.6? [ In reply to ]
Paul Jakma wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, Paul Jakma wrote:
> > There is also already a --disable-privs switch.
>
> --disable-capabilities even, in which i guess it falls back to
> ruid/euid switching (hasso?)

Yes.

--
Hasso Tepper