Homepage: http://sicel-home-1-4.urbanet.ch

We don't believe this to be a coincidence." -- Jeremy S. Anderson
----
Re: Rewriting From: for a mailing list [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 7 Mar 1997, Philippe Strauss wrote:

> Hi, qmail users.
>
> I'm new to qmail and to this mailing list. Congratulation to Dan for this
> long waited piece of software that will blow sendmail out of the map :)
>
> My question is about the From: line when a message is forwarded by a
> mailing list. How can i configure qmail so its rewrite the From: line to
> contain the address of the list rather than the original poster.
> This may be useful for mailing list used mainly by lusers that forget to
> edit their header when replying :)

On this note.

I remember seeing a document thoroughly discussing the pros's and con's of
using Reply-to: headers in mailing lists.. does anyone know where this
might be or what it was called.. or more specificly why that was it was
considered a bad thing?

thanx in advance..

--fess
Re: Rewriting From: for a mailing list [ In reply to ]
In message <Pine.LNX.3.95.970306204101.6535g-100000@dabomb.palace.corn>,
John Fessenden <fess@ddv.com> writes:

> I remember seeing a document thoroughly discussing the pros's and con's of
> using Reply-to: headers in mailing lists.. does anyone know where this
> might be or what it was called.. or more specificly why that was it was
> considered a bad thing?

http://www.unicom.com/FAQ/reply-to-harmful.html

Personally my main reason is:

broken MTAs (eg CompuServe) sending bounces back to the list, which
bounce, which get sent back to the list, which bounce, etc..
Exponential if you've got two or more users at the site.

But read the document for the rest.
--
Christopher Samuel, IT Vulnerabilities Group, chris@rivers.dra.hmg.gb
N-115, Defence Research Agency, St Andrews Road, Great Malvern, England, UK