Mailing List Archive

Multiple Queues?
Evan Champion <evanc@synapse.net> asks:

>One problem I'm seeing is that when I'm delivering a list, all other mail
>gets stuck in the queue until the list is done.
>
>I know that there is the possibility that qmail will have a timer, where
>after x seconds pass qmail will check to see if another message needs
>delivering before continuing on the current message. That will help me a
>lot, but doesn't solve the problem today.
>
>I am wondering, is there a way to specify multiple queues, and then have
>multiple sets of delivery agents (one for each queue)?

Depending on what factors slow down your mailing list, these are the
two methods that come to mind:

1. Install a second qmail setup, with its own queue, qmail-inject, etc.
Have your mailing list invoke the second qmail's qmail-inject so the
list messages don't fill the first qmail's queue. Tweaking the two
sets of concurrencylocal and concurrencyremote files can adjust the
load balance between them.

2. Use maildirs as queues for messages going to the same domain or the
same smarthost, and maildir2smtp to deliver them.

There are difficult spots with either method.

The first can swamp your machine or network link with concurrent deliveries
unless you adjust the files carefully, and even then you may have to trade
off speed of handling list mail for comfortable delivery of other mail (or
comfortable load averages on your machine).

The second can't easily follow MX records, manage retry times, or bounce
mail that's been in the queue for too long.

-Greg
--
Greg Andrews West Coast Online
Unix System Administrator 5800 Redwood Drive