Mailing List Archive

Reusing open delivery connections ?
John R. Levine writes:
> I was flipping through the manual for exim, an MTA from which qmail could
> take a few hints, and noticed that they do a nice optimization by reusing
> open SMTP connections. That is, after delivering a message, if there's
> another message going the same place, it sends an RSET and uses the same
> open connection.

This would be a good thing. It certainly addresses jhawk's concern
about short-lived TCP sessions. Problem is, of course, that qmail is
fast enough that you would have to examine the queue for additional
messages *before* opening the connection. Examine it after the first
piece of mail is sent, and you're likely to have already delivered the
other copies.

--
-russ <nelson@crynwr.com> http://www.crynwr.com/~nelson
Crynwr Software sells network driver support | PGP ok