There is also a process called 'sh /etc/rc autoboot', implying that
it has not finished. Once I kill that inject process, the rest of
the rc script runs, and the 4 main qmail daemons start. The prob is
that I have to manually kill that inject process. Is the inject even
coming from my rc file, as it keeps showing up even when I comment
out qmail in the rc file???

Help...
jay (waiting to tell the world about the wonders of qmail)
Re: Inject hanging on startup [ In reply to ]
[ Jay Brown <jay@tdg.ca> 1997-3 -4 14:35 +0000 ]
|---
| I have installed and tested qmail as per the docs, but there is a
| little glitch when I reboot my machine. It seems that qmail gets
| stuck after initializing. This line is from a 'ps aux' soon after
| booting:
| root 122 0.0 0.8 188 488 v0 I+0:00.02 bin/qmail-inject -a --
| ^^^^^^^^^
|
| What's up with that?
|
| There is also a process called 'sh /etc/rc autoboot', implying that
| it has not finished. Once I kill that inject process, the rest of
| the rc script runs, and the 4 main qmail daemons start. The prob is
| that I have to manually kill that inject process. Is the inject even
| coming from my rc file, as it keeps showing up even when I comment
| out qmail in the rc file???
|---

I'll bet some program being run at startup is sending mail as a side
effect. Maybe it runs mailx, which runs /usr/lib/sendmail, which is
really /var/qmail/bin/sendmail, which runs qmail-inject. Try chasing
parent processes using ps alx to discover the responsible process. In any
case, qmail-inject should have been able to complete successfully whether
qmail-send and friends are running or not, so there must be some other
reason it is hanging.

- Harald