Your hostname is wizard.
hard error
Sorry, I couldn't find your host's canonical name in DNS.
You will have to set up control/me yourself.

So my question is what is happening and how can I fix that!
Thanks
Aris
P.S. I'm a newbie in Linux :-)
Re: Probs installing qmail [ In reply to ]
Okay, here's the requirements list for Greg Wooledge:
1) Local mail should be delivered immediately.
2) Remote mail should be queued, and forwarded to his ISP when
he connects.
3) All his mail should go out as wooledge@kellnet.com, whether local
or remote.
4) His envelope sender should also be correct.

If the mail is not addressed to kellnet.com, it's remote, and should
be queued. If mail is addressed to wooledge@kellnet.com, it should be
forwarded to greg@localhost. Similarly for mwooledge@kellnet.com
going to michelle. Here's how I would set this up to meet #1 and #2:

echo 'kellnet.com:alias-kellnet' >/var/qmail/control/virtualdomains
echo ':alias-kellnet-default' >>/var/qmail/control/virtualdomains

echo '&greg' >~alias/.qmail-kellnet-wooledge
echo '&michelle' >~alias/.qmail-kellnet-mwooledge
echo './Maildir-kellnet/' >~alias/.qmail-kellnet-default

And then use serialmail to deliver the contents of
~alias/Maildir-kellnet to the ISP.

For #3 and #4, I would use environment variables to control how
qmail-inject sets the From: and envelope sender addresses. Have them
both set to wooledge@kellnet.com for greg. Sounds like he's got that
down so I won't lay out the details.

--
-russ <nelson@crynwr.com> http://www.crynwr.com/~nelson
Crynwr Software sells network driver support | PGP ok
Re: Probs installing qmail [ In reply to ]
-[When i try to install qmail i get this answer:
-[ /var/qmail# ./qmail-makectl
-[Your hostname is wizard.
-[hard error
-[Sorry, I couldn't find your host's canonical name in DNS.
-[You will have to set up control/me yourself.
-[

I had the same problem I found the fix is to edit the qmail-makectl file

replace the "./dnsfq" entry with "hostname -fqdn" this will look up your
fully qualified domain correctly, I don't know why the supplied prog don't
work properly

this fixed workd well enough for me, though I don't know how to fix the
dnsip entry lower down in the file, that fails for me also

kevins sig..
try http://www.dvstsol.demon.co.uk/kevin
Re: Probs installing qmail [ In reply to ]
On 26 Feb 1997 Arisg@matrix.kapatel.gr wrote:

> have some probs! First of all , I have a 486/66 with 24MB ram connecting
> to Inet via a dial-up ppp connection ... In my netconfig script I use
> only loopback ... When i try to install qmail i get this answer:
> /var/qmail# ./qmail-makectl
> Your hostname is wizard.
> hard error
> Sorry, I couldn't find your host's canonical name in DNS.
> You will have to set up control/me yourself.

Your system is probably similar to mine. I have a dynamic IP address
assigned when I dial in via PPP. Thus, I don't have a hostname.
Anything I put in control/me is wrong.

If you don't have a real hostname, then you won't need an SMTP daemon;
you get your mail via a POP or IMAP server, right? If so, then you
only need to worry about the configuration of qmail as far as outgoing
messages are concerned.

Here's what I have:

=== /var/qmail/control/me ===
phoenix.local

(There are no other files in /var/qmail/control. As far as I know,
there must be a dot in this "hostname". Beyond that, I don't think it
matters much what "domain" you use. Be sure not to use something that
could be a real domain, though, or you may eventually have a problem.)

=== /etc/hosts ===
208.193.178.184 phoenix.local phoenix

(Note that this is just a made-up address. The actual value does not
matter, since it's never used.)

=== /etc/HOSTNAME ===
phoenix

My MUA (pine) is configured to add the header "From: wooledge@kellnet.com"
on all outgoing messages. This is important for certain mailing lists
that verify your "From:" header before accepting messages. Pine must
be recompiled in order for this to work. (Elm would not need to be
recompiled, as far as I know.) In addition to this, I told pine that
my local "user-domain" is phoenix.local. Thus, mail to local accounts
is addressed as, for example, "greg@phoenix.local"; qmail recognizes
this as a local address because of the contents of control/me. Also,
newer versions of pine have to be told what "sendmail" flags to use;
this is in the FAQ.

That took care of all but one specific case -- the envelope sender
address on outgoing messages was "greg@phoenix.local", which is not
correct when the messages go to the Internet. Certain *other* mailing
lists verify your envelope sender address in order to let you subscribe;
also, this is the address used when bouncing undeliverable messages back
to you. Thus, I set the following environment variables:

QMAILSUSER=wooledge
QMAILSHOST=kellnet.com

This causes qmail to set the envelope sender address to
"wooledge@kellnet.com". This isn't perfect (since local bounce messages
will go to my ISP, to be picked up by fetchmail, rather than coming
directly back to me), but at least everything eventually ends up in the
right place.

I configured fetchmail to deliver mail directly using the -m option;
I suspect that delivering to SMTP would also work, but at the time I
configured fetchmail I was not yet running qmail, and I didn't have
sendmail running as a daemon, so I just never tried it....

Hope this helps.

------------ Greg Wooledge -------------
------- <wooledge@kellnet.com> -------
--- <http://kellnet.com/wooledge/main.html> ---
Re: Probs installing qmail [ In reply to ]
Greg Wooledge writes:
> On 26 Feb 1997 Arisg@matrix.kapatel.gr wrote:
>
> > have some probs! First of all , I have a 486/66 with 24MB ram connecting
> > to Inet via a dial-up ppp connection ... In my netconfig script I use
> > only loopback ... When i try to install qmail i get this answer:
> > /var/qmail# ./qmail-makectl
> > Your hostname is wizard.
> > hard error
> > Sorry, I couldn't find your host's canonical name in DNS.
> > You will have to set up control/me yourself.
>
> Your system is probably similar to mine. I have a dynamic IP address
> assigned when I dial in via PPP. Thus, I don't have a hostname.
> Anything I put in control/me is wrong.

Um, no. A machine can have a name but no address.

> If you don't have a real hostname, then you won't need an SMTP daemon;
> you get your mail via a POP or IMAP server, right? If so, then you
> only need to worry about the configuration of qmail as far as outgoing
> messages are concerned.

Right, and so you should set control/me to kellnet.com.

> === /etc/HOSTNAME ===
> phoenix

Ahhhh, I see. Okay, *I* would set control/me to phoenix.kellnet.com,
add kellnet.com to control/locals, and set control/defaulthost to
kellnet.com. As a general rule, that's the configuration you should
use when all your site's mail comes into a mail hub (whether or not
your machine is the mail hub).

> Thus, mail to local accounts is addressed as, for example,
> "greg@phoenix.local"; qmail recognizes this as a local address
> because of the contents of control/me.

Who is greg? Is that your login name? If so, you need to set
QMAILUSER to wooledge.

Re: Probs installing qmail [ In reply to ]
It's a very minor problem. What qmail-makectl is *trying* to do is guess
what your host and domain name are so that it can fill in the few essential
files that are needed in /var/qmail/control.

In the absence of any other knowledge, and assuming that your PPP connection
is permanent (ie your system is permanently connected to the net), then I
would create a file called /var/qmail/control/me and place the FQDN of your
system in it.

If, eg, your FQDN is matrix.kapatel.gr then it's as simple as:

echo matrix.kapatel.gr >/var/qmail/control/me

Then you can proceed with the rest of the install/test process.

Re: Probs installing qmail [ In reply to ]
On 27 Feb 1997, Russell Nelson wrote:

> > Your system is probably similar to mine. I have a dynamic IP address
> > assigned when I dial in via PPP. Thus, I don't have a hostname.
> > Anything I put in control/me is wrong.
>
> Um, no. A machine can have a name but no address.

OK, but whatever hostname is used will never be in a DNS server.
A system with a dynamic IP address can never have a hostname that
will be reachable from any other system on the Internet. (At a given
moment, I may be port65.kellnet.com; but mere seconds later, I could
be port63.kellnet.com.)

> > If you don't have a real hostname, then you won't need an SMTP daemon;
> > you get your mail via a POP or IMAP server, right? If so, then you
> > only need to worry about the configuration of qmail as far as outgoing
> > messages are concerned.
>
> Right, and so you should set control/me to kellnet.com.
>
> > === /etc/HOSTNAME ===
> > phoenix
>
> Ahhhh, I see. Okay, *I* would set control/me to phoenix.kellnet.com,
> add kellnet.com to control/locals, and set control/defaulthost to
> kellnet.com.

I don't think this would work. With kellnet.com in control/locals,
qmail-send would treat mail to "postmaster@kellnet.com" as local mail.
But postmaster@kellnet.com is my ISP, not me!

No, *@kellnet.com must go to the MX for kellnet.com, which is one of
my ISP's systems. Even though "wooledge@kellnet.com" is my address, it
isn't my *local* address, which is "greg". Similarly, my wife's Internet
address is "mwooledge@kellnet.com", but her *local* address is "michelle".

Also, "phoenix.kellnet.com" is a host in the "kellnet.com" domain, which
is not under my control. By using any name in that domain, I'm putting
myself at risk of conflicting with present or future DNS entries.

> As a general rule, that's the configuration you should
> use when all your site's mail comes into a mail hub (whether or not
> your machine is the mail hub).

But I don't have a general system. :-)

> > Thus, mail to local accounts is addressed as, for example,
> > "greg@phoenix.local"; qmail recognizes this as a local address
> > because of the contents of control/me.

> Who is greg? Is that your login name? If so, you need to set
> QMAILUSER to wooledge.

Well, my MUA configuration predates my use of qmail; I've already done
the work to tell pine what to put in the headers, so telling qmail what
to put in the headers would be redundant.

I hope the original poster is following all this. :-/

Re: Probs installing qmail [ In reply to ]
Greg Wooledge:

echo '&postmaster@mail.kellnet.com' >~alias/.qmail-postmaster

> No, *@kellnet.com must go to the MX for kellnet.com, which is one of
> my ISP's systems. Even though "wooledge@kellnet.com" is my address, it
> isn't my *local* address, which is "greg". Similarly, my wife's Internet
> address is "mwooledge@kellnet.com", but her *local* address is "michelle".

define the environmental variable MAILNAME as wooledge for your
account, and mwooledge for your wife's account.

> Also, "phoenix.kellnet.com" is a host in the "kellnet.com" domain, which
> is not under my control. By using any name in that domain, I'm putting
> myself at risk of conflicting with present or future DNS entries.

Hmm... I'd probably use serialmail and set my .qmail-default to

> > Who is greg? Is that your login name? If so, you need to set
> > QMAILUSER to wooledge.
>
> Well, my MUA configuration predates my use of qmail; I've already done
> the work to tell pine what to put in the headers, so telling qmail what
> to put in the headers would be redundant.

Then why is that a problem?

--
Raul
Re: Probs installing qmail [ In reply to ]
[.The message I just sent out was damaged. This copy is complete.]

Greg Wooledge:
> I don't think this would work. With kellnet.com in control/locals,
> qmail-send would treat mail to "postmaster@kellnet.com" as local mail.
> But postmaster@kellnet.com is my ISP, not me!

echo '&postmaster@mail.kellnet.com' >~alias/.qmail-postmaster

> No, *@kellnet.com must go to the MX for kellnet.com, which is one of
> my ISP's systems. Even though "wooledge@kellnet.com" is my address, it
> isn't my *local* address, which is "greg". Similarly, my wife's Internet
> address is "mwooledge@kellnet.com", but her *local* address is "michelle".

define the environmental variable MAILNAME as wooledge for your
account, and mwooledge for your wife's account.

> Also, "phoenix.kellnet.com" is a host in the "kellnet.com" domain, which
> is not under my control. By using any name in that domain, I'm putting
> myself at risk of conflicting with present or future DNS entries.

Hmm... I'd probably use serialmail and set my .qmail-default to
deliver into that maildir. Alternatively, put into .qmail-default
|qmail-inject -a -f "$LOCAL@mail.kellnet.com" "$SENDER"

[I've not tested this last idea yet.]

Re: Probs installing qmail [ In reply to ]
Ok,
I have my site on w5.metronet.com, its a virtual site called
nowlin.net .
home dir would be /www/nowlin, Id like to make aliases such as
sales, info, orders, etc..but for some reason, all of my combinations
arent working. Id like the to all go to seperate mail files as well.
main email address would be nowlin@w5.metronet.com, or
nowlin@nowlin.net.
can someone show me the steps involved? I tried what I see below,
to no avail.
This is driving me nuts, but I still like what qmail has to offer,
even if I am having hell figuring it out :)

-Mark Nowlin
nowlin@w5.metronet.com

Re: Probs installing qmail [ In reply to ]
On 1 Jan 1996, Russell Nelson wrote:

> Okay, here's the requirements list for Greg Wooledge:
> 1) Local mail should be delivered immediately.
> 2) Remote mail should be queued, and forwarded to his ISP when
> he connects.
> 3) All his mail should go out as wooledge@kellnet.com, whether local
> or remote.
> 4) His envelope sender should also be correct.

5) His system must not pretend to be part of the kellnet.com domain;
specifically, mail to *@*kellnet.com must not be treated as local
mail.

The solution I presented solves all these problems; it doesn't require
serialmail or virtual domains.

I appreciate all the effort you and Raul have put forth in trying to help
me, but I'm not the one who needs the help. I offered my configuration
as a solution to a problem that someone else was having.

> If the mail is not addressed to kellnet.com, it's remote, and should
> be queued. If mail is addressed to wooledge@kellnet.com, it should be
> forwarded to greg@localhost. Similarly for mwooledge@kellnet.com
> going to michelle.

OK, that's one potential benefit of your solution; but for my case, I
don't think it justifies the extra complexity. (Michelle and I don't send
e-mail to each other very often; it's easier to talk face to face. :-)

> Here's how I would set this up to meet #1 and #2:
>
> echo 'kellnet.com:alias-kellnet' >/var/qmail/control/virtualdomains
> echo ':alias-kellnet-default' >>/var/qmail/control/virtualdomains
>
> echo '&greg' >~alias/.qmail-kellnet-wooledge
> echo '&michelle' >~alias/.qmail-kellnet-mwooledge
> echo './Maildir-kellnet/' >~alias/.qmail-kellnet-default
>
> And then use serialmail to deliver the contents of
> ~alias/Maildir-kellnet to the ISP.

Something that may help the original querent: if you don't use serialmail,
then all you have to do is send the SIGARLM signal to qmail-send when
you connect. I do this with the following lines in /etc/ppp/ip-up:

SIGARLM=14
/sbin/start-stop-daemon -K -s $SIGALRM -x /var/qmail/bin/qmail-send

This forces the qmail equivalent of a sendmail "queue run". The
start-stop-daemon program is part of SysVinit, available from all
sunsite.unc.edu mirrors.

Re: Probs installing qmail [ In reply to ]
Ok..figured it out, /usr/src/qmail/qmail-0.96/FAQ had alot of good
info I hadnt seen before.
sorry the dumb questions.

-Mark

Re: Probs installing qmail [ In reply to ]
Mark writes:
> Ok,
> I have my site on w5.metronet.com. It's a virtual site called
> nowlin.net.
> The home dir would be /www/nowlin. I'd like to make aliases such as
> sales, info, orders, etc., but for some reason, all of my combinations
> aren't working. I'd like them to go to seperate mail files as well.
> The main email address would be nowlin@w5.metronet.com, or
> nowlin@nowlin.net.

It sounds like nowlin has an account on w5.metronet.com. Best thing
to do is this:

echo 'nowlin.net:nowlin-nl' >>/var/qmail/control/virtualdomains

and kill -HUP qmail. Now, the nowlin account controls all mail sent
to nowlin.net. sales@nowlin.net is controlled by
~nowlin/.qmail-nl-sales; info@nowlin.net is controlled by
~nowlin/.qmail-nl-info; etc.