- Sascha ---<~>=( http://www.ping.de/sites/aibon/ )=<~>---

() Free speech online
/\ http://www.eff.org/BlueRibbon/bluehtml.html
Re: QMail stats [ In reply to ]
- Sascha Ziemann <szi@aibon.ping.de>:
|---
| is it possible to tell QMail to create a monthly report about the
| activity.

No, but ...

| I would like to know, how much mails are send through QMail
| and how many errors occured during the last month. I have no access to
| the system on which I installed the mail system, so it would be nice to
| get the information by eMail, in order to know how the system works.

qmailanalog is your friend. Just set up a cron job to run the qmailanalog
scripts of your choice and mail you the result.

ftp://koobera.math.uic.edu/www/qmailanalog.html

- Harald
Re: Qmail Stats [ In reply to ]
Hi Vinay,

please turn off HTML when posting to a mailing list. Thanks.

> I need to find out what our qmail server is actually doing? ie msg/second
> delivery rates etc etc...
> it would be good to have these results presented graphically aswell.
>
> Ive got qmailanalog installed.

Good, you already found the solution.

> Ive tried parsing this thru tai64nfrac but i get the error message:
> [root@localhost qmail]# /usr/local/qmailanalog/bin/tai64nfrac <
> @400000003d4a4b3422f4b90c.s > test
> /usr/local/qmailanalog/bin/tai64nfrac: /bin: is a directory

Your tai64nfrac binary seems to be broken. Recompile with the original
source code from http://www.qmail.org/tai64nfrac.

Jonas
RE: Qmail Stats [ In reply to ]
Hi Vinay,

please post answers to the list instead sending them to me. Thanks.

> I think the problem may be that i havent compiled the code originally.

Well... ouch.

> How would I compile this?

Copy the tai64nfrac.c code from the post at http://qmail.org/tai64nfrac
into a file (start after the "Content-Disposition:" line; don't include
the last line which is only an end marker). Then do:

gcc -o tai64nfrac tai64nfrac.c

Jonas
RE: Qmail Stats [ In reply to ]
Hi Jonas,
Thats great.
I got tai64nfrac.c to compile.
The next problem i face isto parse the output from tai64nfrac into matchup.

Ive typed:
#/usr/local/qmailanalog/bin/matchup < test

but i get the error:
matchup: fatal: unable to write fd 5: file descriptor not open

Can somebody tell me what im doing wrong.

Regards,
Vinay

please post answers to the list instead sending them to me. Thanks.

> I think the problem may be that i havent compiled the code originally.

Well... ouch.

> How would I compile this?

Copy the tai64nfrac.c code from the post at http://qmail.org/tai64nfrac
into a file (start after the "Content-Disposition:" line; don't include
the last line which is only an end marker). Then do:

gcc -o tai64nfrac tai64nfrac.c

Jonas

postmaster@haymarketgroup.com

Whilst every endeavour is taken to ensure that e-mails are free from
viruses, no liability can be accepted and the recipient is requested
to use their own virus checking software.

www.haymarketgroup.com
Re: Qmail Stats [ In reply to ]
Vinay Mistry <Vinay.Mistry@haynet.com> wrote:

> Ive typed:
> #/usr/local/qmailanalog/bin/matchup < test
>
> but i get the error:
> matchup: fatal: unable to write fd 5: file descriptor not open
>
> Can somebody tell me what im doing wrong.

Sure: you're not reading the instructions. If the instructions included with
qmailanalong aren't clear enough, there are many examples of proper usage in
the qmail list archives; please read them.

Charles
Charles Cazabon <qmail@discworld.dyndns.org>
GPL'ed software available at: http://www.qcc.ca/~charlesc/software/
Read http://www.qcc.ca/~charlesc/writings/12-steps-to-qmail-list-bliss.html
Re: Qmail Stats [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 02:51:32PM +0100, Vinay Mistry wrote:
> Hi Jonas,
> Ive typed:
> #/usr/local/qmailanalog/bin/matchup < test
>
> but i get the error:
> matchup: fatal: unable to write fd 5: file descriptor not open
>
> Can somebody tell me what im doing wrong.

"man matchup"? Assuming the man files for qmailanalog are in that path.
You read the documentation that comes w/ qmailanalog, right?

--
__________________
alex@graylight.net

"Yeah, I'm drunk all right, and you're crazy. Tomorrow I'll
be sober, but you'll still be crazy for the rest of your life."
-W.C. Fields
RE: Qmail Stats [ In reply to ]
Hi Charles,
So i assume you know what I am doing wrong.
I thought the point of the mailing list was to help fellow qmail users not
criticise them.

Thanx again for your reply.

Regards,
Vinay

RE: Qmail Stats [ In reply to ]
Okay,
Ive typed the command:
#cat email-020806 | /usr/local/qmailanalog/bin/matchup > m-output-020806b 5>
pending.1

and its compiled okay.
then ive run it through zoverall using this:
#/usr/local/qmailanalog/bin/zoverall < m-output-020806b

i get the following error:

Total delivery attempts: 19170
success: 16653
failure: 110
deferral: 2407
Total ddelay (s): 0.000000
Average ddelay per success (s): 0.000000
Total xdelay (s): 0.000000
Average xdelay per delivery attempt (s): 0.000000
Time span (days): 0
awk: cmd. line:61: (FILENAME=- FNR=35972) fatal: division by zero attempted

Whats happening??

Re: Qmail Stats [ In reply to ]
Vinay Mistry <Vinay.Mistry@haynet.com> wrote:
> So i assume you know what I am doing wrong.

I have some evidence that you're doing at least _one_ thing wrong. You may be
doing many more; we don't know.

> I thought the point of the mailing list was to help fellow qmail users not
> criticise them.

Ah, there's your second mistake -- it's neither of the above. According to
the list owner, the purpose of the list is to discuss "The qmail package, the
qmailanalog package, the dot-forward package, and the fastforward package."

Before you post to this list, you are expected to have read the instructions
and attempted to understand them, and to have looked for solutions in the list
archives. If you don't do /at least/ these things, you're wasting the time of
hundreds of qmail administrators -- and we get a little bit hostile when you
do that.

Re: Qmail Stats [ In reply to ]
* Vinay Mistry <Vinay.Mistry@haynet.com> [020806 09:54]:
> Hi Charles,
> So i assume you know what I am doing wrong.

Perhaps he *did* know and saw this:

> postmaster@haymarketgroup.com
>

> Whilst every endeavour is taken to ensure that e-mails are free from
> viruses, no liability can be accepted and the recipient is requested
> to use their own virus checking software.
>
> www.haymarketgroup.com
> criticise them.

No, you wanted the qmail-warm-fuzzies-for-people-who-dont-read-documentation
list, down the hall on the left. Seriously, your question is answered in the
docs and has been discussed on this list numerous times. You *did* check the
archives before posting, didn't you? Or did you mistake this list for a
bunch of people who enjoy re-typing the documentation into emails? (We
don't.)

/pg
--
Peter Green : Architekton Internet Services, LLC : pcg@ais.cx
".. I used to get in more fights with SCO than I did my girlfriend, but
Re: Qmail Stats [ In reply to ]

<http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=qmail&m=101438668322754&w=2>

--
Adrian Ho Tinker, Drifter, Fixer, Bum aho-djb-qmail@03s.net