scanner() where the last line is

_exit(30);

Why this arbitrary exit code of 30. I can't figure this out. Anyone
has some insight on this?

--
Regards Manvendra - http://www.indimail.org
GPG Pub Key
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xC7CBC760014D250C
Re: Some mystery with maildirserial [ In reply to ]
Hi Manvendra,

I'm not an expert on serialmail, but

Am Freitag, dem 06.10.2023 um 00:29 +0530 schrieb Manvendra Bhangui:
> While reviewing the maildirserial code, I see one line in the
> function
> scanner() where the last line is
>
> _exit(30);
>
> Why this arbitrary exit code of 30. I can't figure this out. Anyone
> has some insight on this?

I guess, at that point DJB tried to incorporate some feedback into
qmail.

Check qmail.s. Here you see some return codes (mainly from qmail-queue)
triggering some actions. If you look into s/qmail (or my spamcontrol
patch -- qhpsi) I enhanced those in a very similar manner.

Probably, this return code never made it into qmail ....

Regards.
--eh.

PS: Given the new CC-23 rules, a lot of DJB's code will not work
anymore and requires refactoring (what I already did).

--
Dr. Erwin Hoffmann | www.fehcom.de
PGP key-id: 20FD6E671A94DC1E
Re: Some mystery with maildirserial [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 6 Oct 2023 at 00:53, Erwin Hoffmann <feh@fehcom.de> wrote:

> Hi Manvendra,
>
> I'm not an expert on serialmail, but
>
> Am Freitag, dem 06.10.2023 um 00:29 +0530 schrieb Manvendra Bhangui:
> > While reviewing the maildirserial code, I see one line in the
> > function
> > scanner() where the last line is
> >
> > _exit(30);
> >
> > Why this arbitrary exit code of 30. I can't figure this out. Anyone
> > has some insight on this?
> >

> I guess, at that point DJB tried to incorporate some feedback into
> qmail.

> Probably, this return code never made it into qmail ....

That probably explains it. My thought was, djb being a brilliant guy,
probably put this as a prank to make us lesser mortals run in circles
trying to explain this exit code.

> PS: Given the new CC-23 rules, a lot of DJB's code will not work
> anymore and requires refactoring (what I already did).

Glad to know you have fixed this. I also did this some time ago fixing
all function prototypes and including header files. I now have zero
compiler warnings for each and every djb derived code. Now I'm working
on fixing courier-imap code which fails to compile on Fedora Rawhide
because of the CC-23 rules. I had to do this to fix code which used
gmtime_r() in libs/rfc1035/rfc1035dumprrdata.c. There are few other
pieces of courier imap code still left. Maybe I should just use your
resurrected imap code.

#define _POSIX_C_SOURCE 200112L
Re: Some mystery with maildirserial [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Am Freitag, dem 06.10.2023 um 01:08 +0530 schrieb Manvendra Bhangui:
> On Fri, 6 Oct 2023 at 00:53, Erwin Hoffmann <feh@fehcom.de> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Manvendra,
> >
> > I'm not an expert on serialmail, but
> >
> > Am Freitag, dem 06.10.2023 um 00:29 +0530 schrieb Manvendra
> > Bhangui:
> > > While reviewing the maildirserial code, I see one line in the
> > > function
> > > scanner() where the last line is
> > >
> > > _exit(30);
> > >
> > > Why this arbitrary exit code of 30. I can't figure this out.
> > > Anyone
> > > has some insight on this?
> > >

> > I guess, at that point DJB tried to incorporate some feedback into
> > qmail.
>
> > Probably, this return code never made it into qmail ....
>

> That probably explains it. My thought was, djb being a brilliant guy,
> probably put this as a prank to make us lesser mortals run in circles
> trying to explain this exit code.
>

> > PS: Given the new CC-23 rules, a lot of DJB's code will not work
> > anymore and requires refactoring (what I already did).
>
> Glad to know you have fixed this. I also did this some time ago
> fixing
> all function prototypes and including header files. I now have zero
> compiler warnings for each and every djb derived code. Now I'm
> working
> on fixing courier-imap code which fails to compile on Fedora Rawhide
> because of the CC-23 rules. I had to do this to fix code which used
> gmtime_r() in libs/rfc1035/rfc1035dumprrdata.c. There are few other
> pieces of courier imap code still left. Maybe I should just use your
> resurrected imap code.
>
> #define _POSIX_C_SOURCE 200112L

yes, this of course a work-around. In particular, dealing with C++
code, you can use compiler options to simply accept the older code
structure. Let's wait for C-compilers providing that as well for C-23.

And while I said this, I have to commit that both the DKIM code and
BincIMAP use a year ~2005 style C++.

Anyway. I would be glad if anybody outside myself would try to use
BincIMAP. Please have an eye on my Git repository. This will include
upgraded code and is ahead of those I've slash-packaged.

Regards.
--eh.

Re: Some mystery with maildirserial [ In reply to ]
Thus said Erwin Hoffmann on Thu, 05 Oct 2023 21:51:46 +0200:

> Anyway. I would be glad if anybody outside myself would try to use
> BincIMAP. Please have an eye on my Git repository. This will include
> upgraded code and is ahead of those I've slash-packaged.

I'll be trying it as soon as I get some spare time. Things will slow
down as fall and winter approaches (I hope) so that may give me more
time.

Andy