Mailing List Archive

Netqmail vs qmail
Hello,

My name is Bill Olson and I have been using qmail for about 11+ years now. I
have had my own guide on freebsdrocks.net which I have been keeping up to
date every few months.

I seem to be having an issue with applying John Simpsons patch with
netqmail. I have found through trial and error that qmail and netqmail do
not co-exist peacefully. I have learned that netqmail is what is now
recommended but I have a few issues with this. Please excuse my ignorance as
I am *very* new to netqmail. What I have done to make netqmail work on
Freebsd is downloading netqmail 1.06 along with
roberto-netqmail-1.06.patch-latest. I cannot recall if I added John Simpsons
validrcptto's patch before or after but qmail *apprears* to be working. My
issue is when I send via SSL I get an error 256. If I run the install of the
qmail port and run a make install it starts working. I am using John
Simpsons qmail-smtp-run scripts on qmail.

I also have an intermittent issue with TLS. Does TLS with netqmail work out
of the box? Are there are specific instructions setup to enable TLS on
netqmail?

If someone can point me to relevant information on how to get John Simpsons
patch working with netqmail . I would be so happy.

Thank you for your time.

Bill Olson
Re: Netqmail vs qmail [ In reply to ]
Hi,

try to consider my s/qmail (http://www.fehcom.de/sqmail.html) instead.

It is build for FreeBSD.
The qmail code is aging.
netqmail is just a work around without solving the relevant issues.

regards.
--eh.

Dr. Erwin Hoffmann | FEHCom | http://www.fehcom.de <http://www.fehcom.de/> | PGP Key-Id: EE00CF65

Re: Netqmail vs qmail [ In reply to ]
Hello,

I'll setup a test vm and give it a try. Thank you.

Bill

Re: Netqmail vs qmail [ In reply to ]
I run fedora servers and am willing to setup test servers with sqmail ... i
keep them up to date to the latestg OS's (which is somewhat dangerous but fun
to keep ahead of, currently on core 23) ... so if you want i can try to keep
sqmail as my default MTA? LMK

Kirk

Re: Netqmail vs qmail [ In reply to ]
Hi Kirk,

just go ahead.

TLS is of cause different w.r.t. to standard patches; but remember: The UCSPI-SSL solution was the only one, which protected the SMTP Auth and POP3 users not leaking their userid and password in the first place by the Tearblood bug.

RE: Netqmail vs qmail [ In reply to ]
Hello,

Well I don’t see anything on that page about using another patch. What patch does this use? The reason I ask is if I use John Simpsons patch at https://qmail.jms1.net/patches/combined-details.shtml I won’t get his features like validrcptto (which is awesome) and other settings. How do your run files differ from his? Have you used John’s scripts before?

Bill Olson

Re: Netqmail vs qmail [ In reply to ]
Hi Bill (+ all others),

s/qmail ist basically qmail but with a lot of enhancements. I thought to have explained those on my web site.

What is included:

- AMD64
- IPv6
- TLS
- Auth
- Recipient verification
- ....

And no, no patches yet. In particular I'm not interested to include bloated functionality and STDIO program pieces.
Unfortunately, the docs are not yet finished, but what you are looking for is already explained:

http://fehcom.de/sqmail/sqmaildoc_04.html

Simply, give it a try!

regards.
--eh.