Mailing List Archive

Re: The current state of qmail - meta1 MTA?
People,

On 2014-12-24 01:29, Joshua Megerman wrote:
>>> It would be really helpful to stick our wisdom together and provide a
>>> solid qmail-based mailing solution for the community.
>>
>> as you might have noticed I'm very sceptic about that.
>
> I've been considering writing my own MTA in the qmail-style of
> operations
> for several years, and recently have been doing some more focused
> research
> on what all the pieces that I'd need to consider are (at least from an
> RFC/spec standpoint, as well as a few language options). My problem
> with
> the existing qmail code is that DJB went out of his way to a) avoid
> using
> system libraries (substdio anyone?) and b) write code that is difficult
> understand at a glance (e.g., lots of single-letter variables). Add to
> that the fact that different peoples' patches are all in different
> styles,
> plus the need to keep using DJBs idiosyncrasies and I think what qmail
> needs to move forward is a complete rewrite. Whether or not I'm going
> do it is another question entirely :)
>
> One of the things that I am seriously considering is having a plugin
> architecture (as someone earlier had asked about)

That was me . .

> to allow additional
> functionality to be added without having to patch and recompile the
> whole
> system, possibly without even having to touch the existing code.

Exactly . .

> Some of
> the ESMTP extensions lend themselves to this easily, some not so
> easily,
> and a couple of them not at all, but the latter are probably worth
> incorporating into the base anyway (like Enhanced Status Codes). I'd
> be
> happy to share my findings either with the list or individuals if
> there's
> interest, and if I do start coding I'd also be happy to collaborate
> with
> others to make things happen, but I'll cross that bridge if I get
> there.
>
> I've used qmail for almost 20 years, and patched/maintained my working
> codebase for 10+, but like others have said it's getting long in the
> tooth. The fact that it's public domain hasn't done it any favors -
> DJB
> didn't so much "release" qmail as he abandoned it, and while those of
> us
> who use and like qmail aren't bothered by that, most mainstream
> distributors aren't going to want to touch something that has no
> developer
> support and no apparent future...

I have been on the mailing list for this [new] MTA:

http://www.meta1.org

since almost the beginning - although the web site says "Last update:
2010-12-01", the last email update:

Subject: MeTA1 1.1.Alpha0.0 available

was

2014-07-14 00:54

- what do people here think of Claus Assmann's MeTA1 approach? - is
there anything there to be learned / gained by co-operating?

Regards,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades

GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW 2001
Australia
Web: http://philiprhoades.org
E-mail: phr@philiprhoades.org

--
Philip Rhoades

GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW 2001
Australia
E-mail: phil@pricom.com.au
Re: The current state of qmail - meta1 MTA? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 9:56 AM, Philip Rhoades <phil@pricom.com.au> wrote:

> On 2014-12-24 01:29, Joshua Megerman wrote:
>

>> One of the things that I am seriously considering is having a plugin
>> architecture (as someone earlier had asked about)
>>

> That was me . .

There has been one around for quite some time - qmail-spp - that I used to
write 3 plugins in C that we've been using on our qmail servers for years.
Works nicely and the plugins can be written in any language that can be
executed on the server.

http://qmail-spp.sourceforge.net/

> to allow additional
>> functionality to be added without having to patch and recompile the whole
>> system, possibly without even having to touch the existing code.
>>

> Exactly . .

Which is exactly what it provides - edit a couple of text files in
/var/qmail/control, put your plugin in /var/qmail/plugins and you're set.

Chris
Re: The current state of qmail - meta1 MTA? [ In reply to ]
Chris,

On 2014-12-26 05:04, Chris Stone wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 9:56 AM, Philip Rhoades <phil@pricom.com.au>
> wrote:
>
>> On 2014-12-24 01:29, Joshua Megerman wrote:
>>
>>> One of the things that I am seriously considering is having a
>>> plugin
>>> architecture (as someone earlier had asked about)
>>
>> That was me . .
>
> There has been one around for quite some time - qmail-spp - that I
> used to write 3 plugins in C that we've been using on our qmail
> servers for years. Works nicely and the plugins can be written in any
> language that can be executed on the server.
>
> http://qmail-spp.sourceforge.net/ [1]

Well, there are still surprises around after all this time . . I will
have a closer look at that!

>>> to allow additional
>>> functionality to be added without having to patch and recompile
>>> the whole
>>> system, possibly without even having to touch the existing code.
>>
>> Exactly . .
>
> Which is exactly what it provides - edit a couple of text files in
> /var/qmail/control, put your plugin in /var/qmail/plugins and you're
> set.

Great! - thanks for the heads up.

Regards,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades

GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW 2001
Australia
E-mail: phil@pricom.com.au
Re: The current state of qmail - meta1 MTA? [ In reply to ]
Chris,

On 2014-12-26 18:22, Philip Rhoades wrote:
> Chris,
>

> On 2014-12-26 05:04, Chris Stone wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 9:56 AM, Philip Rhoades <phil@pricom.com.au>
>> wrote:

>>> That was me . .
>>
>> There has been one around for quite some time - qmail-spp - that I
>> used to write 3 plugins in C that we've been using on our qmail
>> servers for years. Works nicely and the plugins can be written in any
>> language that can be executed on the server.
>>
>> http://qmail-spp.sourceforge.net/ [1]
>

> Well, there are still surprises around after all this time . . I will
> have a closer look at that!

>>> Exactly . .
>>
>> Which is exactly what it provides - edit a couple of text files in
>> /var/qmail/control, put your plugin in /var/qmail/plugins and you're
>> set.

The thing that is immediately obvious is, of course, that the qmail
source needs patching before the plugins can be used - ideally this
facility should be part of the base code . . but that gets back to
needing some sort of consensus about continued development or the
development of qmail2. . assuming that is possible . .

Regards,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades