Mailing List Archive

qmail-authentication 0.8
Hi everybody out there,

within my current qmail-authentication patch (0.8) I realized a feature for qmail-remote which was required by some users:

qmail-remote allows now two distinct mechanisms to enable authentication:

* Sender-based authentication: This is triggered by the 'Mail From:' address and can be customized by control/authsenders.
* Target-based authentication: As an extension for control/smtproutes now for a specific route the authentication information can be optionally added.

The last feature is often called a 'smart relay' or 'smart host'. Of course the 'Submisson' is always possible!

Sender-based authentication has precedence over 'relay-based' authentication.

The current version + docs are available on my web site

http://www.fehcom.de/qmail/smtpauth.html

Note: For qmail-smtpd I use now an extensible scheme for the environment variable SMTPAUTH.

These features have been included into my SPAMCONTROL patch (2.7). Users of this patch are encouraged to update ! All new features are now in place and working.

regards.
--eh.

--
Dr. Erwin Hoffmann | FEHCom | http://www.fehcom.de | PGP Key-Id: 7E4034BE
Re: qmail-authentication 0.8 [ In reply to ]
Hi, It is a great one.

It will be a great help if you could add to your document on "How to test
Smart relay or Smart host (if possible from command line) after everything
is done as per your instructions".

Re: qmail-authentication 0.8 [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Am 02.04.2013 um 22:25 schrieb Sikkandar Dulkaranai:

> Hi, It is a great one.
>
> It will be a great help if you could add to your document on "How to test Smart relay or Smart host (if possible from command line) after everything is done as per your instructions".

I thought, I did:

http://www.fehcom.de/qmail/smtpauth.html##SETUP

<--snip-->

First:

control/authsenders:
eschmidt@google.com:gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com:587|E. Schmidt|topsecret

Second

control/smtproutes:
gmail.com:gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com|myaccount|mypasswd

<--snap-->

From man qmail-remote:

authsenders
Authenticated sender. For each sender included in authsenders: sender:relay:port|user|password qmail-remote will try SMTP Authentication of type CRAM-MD5, LOGIN, or PLAIN with the
provided user name user and password password (the authentication information) and eventually relay the mail through relay on port port. The use of relay and port follows the same
rules as for smtproutes Note: In case sender is empty, qmail-remote will try to deliver each outgoing mail SMTP authenticated. If the authentication information is missing, the mail
is delivered none-authenticated. authsenders can be constructed as follows:

@example.com:relay.example.com|user|passwd
info@example.com:relay.example.com:26|infouser|infopasswd
:mailrelay.example.com|e=mc2|testpass

smtproutes
Artificial SMTP routes. Each route has the form domain:relay, or domain:relay|user|password without any extra spaces. If domain matches host, qmail-remote will connect to relay, as
if host had relay as its only MX. (It will also avoid doing any CNAME lookups on recip.) host may include a colon and a port number to use instead of the normal SMTP port, 25. In
case, a userid and password is present, qmail-remote will try a SMTP authenticated session:

inside.af.mil:firewall.af.mil:26
:submission.myrelay.com:587|myuserid|mypasswd

relay may be empty; this tells qmail-remote to look up MX records as usual.

This is pretty straightforward. The username and password may include white spaces.

regards.
--eh.

--
Dr. Erwin Hoffmann | FEHCom | http://www.fehcom.de | PGP Key-Id: 7E4034BE