mail delivery and got a 4xx reply. Log says ZConnected to , but greeting
failed, server says "All ports busy". Despite this message, the delivery
was success. exact log at
http://pastie.org/private/stwlr6jmvhiljzbed0i3ag All the mail delivery
tried via the above MX is lost, but qmail log reports success with above
ZConnected message. Z means delivery deferral, if i am not wrong.

Regards,
Clement
Re: Greeting failed, but delivery success [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Am 25.03.2013 um 07:38 schrieb Clement Thomas:

> Hi,
> We use qmail with ezmlm for mailinglist service
>
> [root@xx-yyy ~]# rpm -qa|egrep '(ezmlm|qmail)'
> qmail-toaster-1.03-1.3.25
> ezmlm-toaster-0.53.324-1.3.3
>
> There was postfix SMTP failure with one of the MX to which qmail tried mail delivery and got a 4xx reply. Log says ZConnected to , but greeting failed, server says "All ports busy". Despite this message, the delivery was success. exact log at http://pastie.org/private/stwlr6jmvhiljzbed0i3ag All the mail delivery tried via the above MX is lost, but qmail log reports success with above ZConnected message. Z means delivery deferral, if i am not wrong.

Yes. But it should never be visible in the qmail-send logs.

Probably, you are using an incorrectly patched version of qmail-remote.

Check this line in qmail-remote.c:

if (code != 220) quit("ZConnected to "," but greeting failed");

Probably, yours will look like:

if (code != 220) quit(" ZConnected to "," but greeting failed");

With a leading '_white_space_' before the 'Z' or something else.

regards.
--eh.

--
Dr. Erwin Hoffmann | FEHCom | http://www.fehcom.de | PGP Key-Id: 7E4034BE
Re: Greeting failed, but delivery success [ In reply to ]
On 03/25/2013 05:27 PM, Erwin Hoffmann wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Am 25.03.2013 um 07:38 schrieb Clement Thomas:
>
>> Hi,
>> We use qmail with ezmlm for mailinglist service
>>
>> [root@xx-yyy ~]# rpm -qa|egrep '(ezmlm|qmail)'
>> qmail-toaster-1.03-1.3.25
>> ezmlm-toaster-0.53.324-1.3.3
>>
>> There was postfix SMTP failure with one of the MX to which qmail
>> tried mail delivery and got a 4xx reply. Log says ZConnected to , but
>> greeting failed, server says "All ports busy". Despite this message,
>> the delivery was success. exact log at
>> http://pastie.org/private/stwlr6jmvhiljzbed0i3ag All the mail
>> delivery tried via the above MX is lost, but qmail log reports
>> success with above ZConnected message. Z means delivery deferral, if
>> i am not wrong.
>
> Yes. But it should never be visible in the qmail-send logs.
>
> Probably, you are using an incorrectly patched version of qmail-remote.
>
> Check this line in qmail-remote.c:
>
> if (code != 220) quit("ZConnected to "," but greeting failed");
>
> Probably, yours will look like:
>
> if (code != 220) quit(" ZConnected to "," but greeting failed");
>
> With a leading '_white_space_' before the 'Z' or something else.
>
> regards.
> --eh.
>

>> Regards,
>> Clement
>>

> --
> Dr. Erwin Hoffmann | FEHCom | http://www.fehcom.de | PGP Key-Id: 7E4034BE

Hi,
We found the root cause at last. our setup has .qmail-default file
which will pipe mail to qmail-remote. since qmail-remote was always
exiting with 0, qmail assumed success.

Regards,
Clement